Please Help Us!!

I will take up the food...her crop has been swollen for a couple days...but, she hadnt been eating well before...as for the breeder...I really hadnt given thought to it like that...we are VERY new to chickens (myself and my 15 yr old who is autistic)...we are doing this for him to have a hobby where he can handle a lot of the upkeep and care for his pets. She has been wonderful to us, and very helpful. This last time we went up to buy another frizzle, she told us she had these three off to themselves b/c they had a cold in their eyes (infection) and that he could have them to learn how to nurse and fool with them...she doctored them before we left...she does take very good care of her flock and has a wonderfully large and clean set up. She told us what meds to get and that there was a strong possibility Millie would die b/c she was small. She also told us to not let them around any of our others. So, we did, kind of, rescue them; but I wasnt thinking about how easily the others could get it...I am a nurse and have adhered quite closely to handwashing and other attempts to eliminate cross contamination, but the idea of them always being ill just never entered my mind...I have learned so much from this site, and am very thankful...she has only been at it for four years, and maybe she wasnt thinking that way either. Regardless, I have them and would never kill them, so; I will carry on and hope for the best
smile.png

Do you have other chickens?
Be really really careful when you consider bringing any sick chickens/birds home. Really, there are no respiratory diseases that are easy to cure. Not like some sick kittens or puppies or human kids. Most chickens with respiratory problems- they are viral or bacterial- and treating may save the bird, but you end up with carriers that put any bird you ever bring in in the future at risk.
The person who sold you or gave you these birds IMO was incredibly irresponsible, or at the least uneducated about the risk they were putting you & your flock in. They were foisting off a problem on you, that they should have taken care of themselves.
I would give them back to the breeder & give the breeder a piece of my mind. If you want to know what the infectious agent is, then send the deceased bird to your state lab (most states have a free or low cost service). Or send in the next one IF it dies. Or get a vet involved if you want to test it alive.
If you want to keep them, I would pointedly ask the breeder if they have any true idea what virus or bacteria is causing the problem- that can at least guide your medication selection. IB, ILT, CRD (mycoplasma), coryza, ect are possibilities. If they are responsible (which I suspect not, as they gave you sick birds)- they may have had birds tested in the past.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom