Please Help Us!!

There a few things I would try if it is not too late to get these items.

Some items I keep on hand:
Poultry Nutri-drench - high caloric, high vitamins a must for sick poultry
50% Dextrose (quick energy a couple drops orally - can substitute table sugar or honey - both mixed with water if that's all you have)
GroGel plus B (the 'B' is for beneficial bacteria necessary any time you are giving antibiotics - only if they are able to eat it on their own)
Ben-Bac powder is a pro biotic as well for adult chickens (yogurt is OK if that is all you have access to - but these 2 products are better)
Streseez Plus (A nutritional supplement - electolyte/trace minerals for the water for periods of stress - if you are not using Grogel ) I use this when the weather changes, when I move the chickens around etc.
Lactated Ringers (IV fluids) for Sub Q fluid therapy (a must if they are not eating and have become dehydrated - very likely with a sick chick or sick animal in general ) About 3% of their body weight given (injected) under the skin in the back of the neck, for a chick would only be a couple drops - maintain sterile conditions

Antibiotics are good but in excess or the wrong combination can do harm, most of the time if you are seeing symptoms you would need to start with an injectable antibiotic. Baytril is excellent but costly - about $70 a bottle - Tylan 50 is also good and much less expensive at about $12 a bottle. For the chick if you can get her to take a couple drops of dextrose or the poultry drench - or both- if she is not eating on her own along with the sub-q fluids until the antibiotics kick in she might make it. If she does show some improvement try to get a probiotic on board as soon as possible. They use bacteria to digest their food in their craw. The antibiotic therapy will kill that bacteria as well and it should be replaced (at the very least give her yogurt if you can get it down).

For the other chicks that are doing better: I cook up eggs (microwave scramble mashed up very fine) and mix them with the already mixed up Gro-gel, a little oatmeal (dry) and a little honey, I sprinkle this mixture on top of their chick food. It is excellent for them, especially if they are not felling well or just stressed. If they have never had the grogel mix they kinda need to get used to it, but once they try it they will absolutely love it. And it is amazing how quick it will make them feel better. I use it weekly just to boos their tiny immune systems.

I know this is a lot of information at one time. And you don't have to go out and get all this suff, but as time goes on if you are going to raise poultry it is a good idea to have it all on had as well as your basic antibiotics - oral and injectable. The sad rule of thumb is if they do not show some improvement in 2 days they are probably not going to get better (sorry). Their systems are just to fragile.

If you need information on where to get any of these items I can give you that information (even the IV fluids - a must to have on hand)
I hope at least some of this information helped, if not now maybe in the future. GOOD LUCK!

Okay, I posted an update on the emergency board...the two larger ones are doing much better, but the little milli is still very ill...she is trying so hard to live, and I want to help her...I went out and bought all I could find which wasnt much...Ive covered almost 85 miles looking for things...no vetrx, no terramycin (but their eyes ARE better), no probios powder, and none of the meds the last post mentioned...yes, if you could tell me where to get these items I would be grateful...I am new to chickens, a nurse, but way out of my element here...the caregiver in me has a broken heart for the little one...she is so lethargic and not able to do much more than stand for a few seconds...so far this afternoon, I have given her a drop of poly vi sol (as suggested) and some more honey water...she is on her feet now, but still too weak to eat...what else can I do?? I also put vinegar in their water to possibly clear any more mucous the two larger ones are still sneezing a bit. They had been on the duramycin for almost seven day...six full and a half...I put them on the powdered vit and electrolytes last evening when I noticed Milli acting differently...took it today before I gave the poly vi sol drops (one a piece) and replaced the water with the vinegar sol. Is there anything I can feed her by dropper to help her with strength besides honey? That is basically a short acting additive, and she needs nourishment...please help!

I hate to send you out to the store again, but I just remembered that some people use baby bird formula to get nourishment to birds that can't eat. If you have a pet store near You, you could try that. Or maybe mash up a hard boiled egg yolk with water.....

I LIVE WAY OUT THERE, LOL... bout 45 miles from any store like that...I will definately try the egg and keep u posted...thank you so much for your response...I am so hoping she lives...about my frizzle's crop being swollen (I put up a separate post) what do u think that could be and what do u recommend? She is eating and drinking fine.

I did see that at the store today...is it a sulfa based one? Im not sure how old they are...feel stupid giving size estimations, but dont know how else to do it...the frizzle and silkie are both about the size of a large sweet potato and the mili is about the size of an avg. potato...not good estimation, I know...also, I do mean "eyeing" size, not weight size...sorry for such vagueness. I am emailing the breeder to see exactly how old they are right now...I will get the Tylan tomorrow.

Quote:
you could also whizz some chick starter in the blender or a coffee grinder to a powder and mix a small ammount with enough water to make a thin enough gruel drop into its mouth with a medicine dropper.. thats basicly what you do with the baby bird stuff, its just already powdered. Go slow and easy to see how it goes down.

she just passed...I was holding her trying to give the egg and she was just so weak she gave up...when I went in there to give it to her, the Frizzle was standing on her and she couldnt get up, so I pretty much knew she was gone...we tried...poor little bitty, she was a fighter...now I gotta focus on the other two...they are eating fine, but still sneezing and their eyes are better, but not completely cleared up...the frizzle has a really swollen crop...not sure what to do about that either...she is eating and poo is fine.

Getting sick birds from a breeder is a major red flag to me. Unless you know you are bring infection to your flock and are ok with that I would never considder such a thing. These colds are not just something that is here this week and with a little TLC gone. Many are chronic and once a bird is infected they will be able to infect healthy birds for life. Soon as there is a little stress (change of weather, food environment), poof birds start getting sick all over.

A breeder that is knowingly moving sick birds off onto other people is just a little sketchy in my mind. Very likely even their sale birds are carriers.

If you are doing this knowingly my appologies, thats cool if you're sort of rescue flock is intake only.

Quote:
Oh, I'm so very sorry!
hugs.gif

You tried everything you possibly could, and thats more than what a lot of little chicks get. These poor babies! I would never get chickens from that lady again.

With the crop, how long has it been swollen? It is pretty normal for the crops to look abnormally large on chicks when they are full. Try taking up their food tonight, and it should be empty by the morning. If not...you could have a problem. My understanding is that respiratory illnesses can cause digestive issues because on nasal drainage into their systems. Keep up the probiotics in the form of yogurt and OACV in the water. Give only easily dissolved foods as a percaution for now. The test is to put the food item in a cup of water and it should dissolve. So....that means starter crumbles, yogurt, and hard boiled egg yolk mashed up for them. Scrambled eggs aren't as easily digested, so you might want to err on the side of caution if digestive issues are a concern.

Take up the food tonight, leave the little ones with only water....and see how it looks in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom