Please help! Vent emergency.

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
I randomly checked my tiny fawn and white runner's feet and discovered this coming out of her vent. I need some advice as I have no experience with it. Is it because her body is so little to lay eggs? She lays small ones but I haven't seen any of those in a few days. I will check through threads here, but if someone can tell me what to do right now I would appreciate it!
IMG_2425.JPG

Here is a video I watched, for anyone in the future who has this issue, that helped me:

I tried three times with my duck on her back and each time it was so hard to feel what was happening as I pushed the prolapse back in, and it kept popping right back out. I just tried again with her right side up and I was actually able to feel much better when it was fully pushed in, and it stayed! I know this victory might be short-lived, but we are calling it a night and going to bed and all is well for the moment. After it stayed in she practically flew out of my arms into the bathtub and had a nice long bath, and is now in her dog crate standing in her water dish. I'm sure she's not happy to be away from her friends and stuck indoors, but it will be good to keep an eye on her and keep her clean, and she's overall pretty calm.

I have an update on my duck . So the prolapse was coming out every time she pooped, and that was upwards of 25 times that I put it back between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. We were both traumatized. I have to say I believe it was Divine wisdom, because a week earlier I tripped and my knees were all cut up, but they were feeling good and I hadn't worn band-aids in 4 days. But Saturday night they really hurt so I pulled the big band-aids out again. Sunday I prayed for wisdom to know what to do with Ellie, then an hour later I saw my box of band-aids and decided to just give it a try. I trimmed her feathers a bit and stuck one on her bum. It has not prolapsed again since then, 28 hours ago. I have changed the band-aid many times, but it's not sealed on the padded part, so the poop often just shoots out the side of the band-aid. She's still inside in a dog crate. When I got up this morning the band-aid was off, but the prolapse was still inside! And she was actually laying down, something she hadn't done since I first discovered it Friday, poor girl. So things are improving a lot, but I know we're not out of the woods and I dread her laying an egg and it happening again. Thanks everyone for your support and ideas.

My avian vet is booked - as usual. I gave her a soak in a warm tub, sprayed it with vetericyn and slathered some raw honey in the area and tried to push it back in and held it for about ten minutes, but it popped right back out. I have her inside on towels in a covered dog crate. I will try again in a little bit to push it back and hold it in place longer.

If so It's going to look bad before it's better so don't give up 1 soak in Epsom salt, take off the crusty/dirt stuff gently by cleaning it. I use Dawn Soap when clean spray vetercyn, then spread honey all over it and sprinkle sugar on it and DON't push it in as there may be bacteria that will get internal. Repeat morning and night or twice a day. Each day it will look worse, and this could take up to 10 days, then one day there will be a mushroom shape scab with healthy tissue under it, Let the scab fall off in itself. I had a hen who laid three eggs during the time she was being treated. Keep her in a dark place to prevent laying. I felt the egg laying (in the dark) helps recorrect it. Finally, it went in by itself.

Sadly the prolapse was back and bigger this time. I've tried a couple times this morning to put it back, it's harder to get in, and it just won't stay. I'm not sure what to do now.

Back
Top Bottom