Please help! Vent emergency.

Are ducks and chickens different about healing vents?
I'm not sure. I've only read about it, (and experienced my own 'discomforts down there).

I did watch this video where a vet put in a stitch, but the lady had to manually remove it when the chicken started laying an egg - the vet said it could die otherwise. Wow, that seems like intense pressure:

If you do end up having the stitch done, you can ask for the hormone implant so she stops laying.

I have an update on my duck . So the prolapse was coming out every time she pooped, and that was upwards of 25 times that I put it back between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. We were both traumatized. I have to say I believe it was Divine wisdom, because a week earlier I tripped and my knees were all cut up, but they were feeling good and I hadn't worn band-aids in 4 days. But Saturday night they really hurt so I pulled the big band-aids out again. Sunday I prayed for wisdom to know what to do with Ellie, then an hour later I saw my box of band-aids and decided to just give it a try. I trimmed her feathers a bit and stuck one on her bum. It has not prolapsed again since then, 28 hours ago. I have changed the band-aid many times, but it's not sealed on the padded part, so the poop often just shoots out the side of the band-aid. She's still inside in a dog crate. When I got up this morning the band-aid was off, but the prolapse was still inside! And she was actually laying down, something she hadn't done since I first discovered it Friday, poor girl. So things are improving a lot, but I know we're not out of the woods and I dread her laying an egg and it happening again. Thanks everyone for your support and ideas.

This is what I used:
IMG_2427.JPG

Back
Top Bottom