Please help, we are lost. Older chicks dying?????

Taniam

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
We have two 4 or 5 week old chicks. Have recently changed their bedding with untreated saw dust and divided the crate in to two segments. We have our new chicks in one side and the two older ones on the other side. Now both the older ones are lethagic and off colour. Nothing else has changed. Same food, fresh water. Just wondering if its got too hot for them? They are sitting down. Not bothered by me picking them up (which they were this morning).....wings out from their body a bit. The smaller one is a bit more lively. What could it be and how can we help them

If they are panting they are too hot. What is the temperature in the brooder? Is the temperature the same on both sides? Older chicks do not need the heat as much as younger ones as they got feathers to keep them warm now.

I think it was too hot. How do we cool them down? Just take them out?

Yes. If you have a safe place for them you can put them outside now. If you have a place that's fenced properly so they can't escape and neighbourhood dogs and cats can't get to them they would love to run around outside. Just make sure you provide some shade for them as well. I usually move my month old chicks out and bring them in in the evenings for another week or 2, depending on the weather. It's very good for them.

Last edited:
Thanks Golden Feather. Will they be ok with the older chickens around them at that age?

At this age they don't need supplemental heat much, and none if they are in a house. Remove them from the heat lamp and find somewhere else to put them. They're probably too young to go out with adults, you'll need some type of grow out pen.

And make sure it's not too hot for your new babies. They need ACCESS to 95 degrees, not to be cooked at that temp all the time. They need an area they can get to room temp also, away from the heat.

Will they be ok with the older chickens around them at that age?
Chicks of different ages can be mixed. They are not as aggressive as older chickens and get along fine.

Thanks people. What would happen if we put them with the older hens? Would they get killed by the hens?

They may, you can never tell with chickens. Some people have the sweetest flocks, some, like mine are a bit more aggressive. If I put youngsters with my flock without a mom to protect them they get bullied and pecked and scared off by the older hens. Especially at feeding time. I did have one incident when a broody pecked and and pecked one of my youngsters so bad she ended up killing her
sad.png
Unfortunately I wasn't around at the time, so I couldn't intervene. I'd say keep the youngsters in a separate area outside with at least a fence between them and the older chickens until they are 3 months old or older. This way the older hens can see the young ones and get used to them without getting too them. Then when you put them together there will hopefully be no more bullying than is necessary to establish the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom