Please help - what could be wrong?

Deerpeer

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Hi all,

Im not sure what's wrong with my white Cochin bantam (curly)
English is my second language so forgive me if my spelling is incorrect.
I'll try to explain as good as I can...

My whole flock seems off. Staying inside to roost while the weather is nice.
The white Cochin has been acting strange for a week now. First I thought she was 'broeds', sitting on her eggs. All other chickens (4 Wyandotte's) were also breeding for a few weeks, but are all done now.

But the white Cochin (Dolly) is laying her head on the ground, in the laying nests. And the most dominant hen (Bubbles) is always with her. Almost sitting on her. It looks like the Dolly her combe is not that red anymore. Looks pale to me.

She is eating when I take her out of the nest. But is also harassed by Bubbles when she is walking around. Picking feathers etc. Its almost like Bubbles wants her in the nest and the whole flock is following them to the night shed to sit on the roosts.

Bubbles is so dominant that she sometimes tries to be the rooster, she is jumping the hens, and she is getting louder and louder.

Does anyone knows what's going on in my flock? Could the little wounds on her comb be from the picking done by Bubbles? And the pale spot on her comb? Does anyone think this is a fungus?

Note that there is no veterinarian in the area that will see these 'home-backyard' chickens. So if I needed to give her meds I need to order it online.
And I'm new to all of this. This is my first flock. They are all from spring 2020.

Already done: Diatomaceous earth in all their dust bathing spots and coop.
Apple vinegar in the water (but they don't like it and are drinking rain water)
Checked all of them for mites and lice, none.
Eyes are still 'clear'

`thanks for the help!!

Debora
IMG_2941.jpeg
IMG_2939.jpeg
IMG_2938.jpeg

Last edited:
I just found out that the curly Cochin bantam is wiggling herself underneath the dominant hen. Which is breeding. and due to lack of oxygen she is all droopy and slow when I manage to pull her from underneath the other hen. Her combe is pale but turns red after a minute or two.

so weird... why would she do that?
this is her first time being breeds but she has no eggs to sit on. She normally lays an egg every other day.
The whole flock is not laying at the moment.

I just found out that the curly Cochin bantam is wiggling herself underneath the dominant hen. Which is breeding. and due to lack of oxygen she is all droopy and slow when I manage to pull her from underneath the other hen. Her combe is pale but turns red after a minute or two.

so weird... why would she do that?
this is her first time being breeds but she has no eggs to sit on. She normally lays an egg every other day.
The whole flock is not laying at the moment.
She might be broody as well and it is not uncommon for broodies to share the same nest or want the nest another hens is occupying.

Check all your chickens for poultry mites and lice, the coop and nests as well. It is the time of the year when suddenly mites can become a serious danger to their health. Even more so with a lot of broodies.

Back
Top Bottom