Please help! with peafowl eggs!!!

armando

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 25, 2012
Hiii everyone!!
I have a hovabator incubator, and I also have the automatic turner.
I`ve hatched chicken eggs and turkey eggs before, just as a hobby. (For my friend that has a little farm)
My friend has a peafowl that laid eggs, but she wont incubate them, and my friend asked me If I could do it for him!
but I know nothing... can I pleaseeee get some help from you guys?
thanks sooo muchhhh!!!

treat them as you would for chickens. Best hatch rates are done with the eggs horizontal. Chicks will hatch in 24 to 29 days ( I get 27 or 28 days), but stop turning around 25 days. There are lots of threads on here dealing with this as well, so have a paruze through them all!

What you are saying is that its best if I dont use the egg turner?
You mean just lay them in the wire surface and turn them 3 to 5 times at day?

What about temperature and humidity?

I want to be exact with everything, I really want this to work :)

(Thanks sooo much for your quick help)

Last edited:
Use the egg turner, but lay them sideways in it & turn them 3 x a day in addition to that. Look at the sticky topic at the top of this thread -- the Peafowl 101 -- & read through that, it has some very useful info there.

Here's a pic of mine set in my Brinsea incubator, with autoturner. the little eggs are guinea eggs; the 2 big ones are peacock eggs.

Ignore the temps/humidity on the hygrometer - I took this pic right after I set all the eggs in there. I'm keeping my temps at 100 degrees & humidity mid-40s until I lock down this Wed, then I'll boost the humidity a bit. Not too much, because I've found that when the eggs start hatching, they naturally boost the humidity. That's just my experience & I'm in a very humid climate (La) it may be different in your area.

I don't know -- hopefully somebody who uses that type of turner can chime in w/an answer for you. can you remove some of the yellow slots to make room for the large pea eggs to lay in there sideways?

my turner looks a bit different than yours...
it looks just like this one:
http://dblrsupply.pinnaclecart.com/images/catalog/category505.jpg

They will only fit in just if they are vertical.... is there any way that I can place them horizontal on top of that turner?
I would just remove the turner, the trays you have are too small and are meant for chicken eggs. Manually turn the eggs as often as you would normally be able to during the day (not more than once per hour though). I only have time to turn my 2x per day - once in morning and once in evening.

I have used that sort of turner in that sort of incubator, and it worked ok the first time. I tried two different ways-the first time I used the turner and set the eggs on their sides on the bottom for lockdown and 2/6 hatched. The second time I used the turner and set the eggs upright in an egg holder like someone told me to, and absolutely nothing hatched. The next time I am going to lay them on their sides and hand turn, and see if that works any better.

The biggest problem with that turner is that peafowl eggs are SO large that they can fall out of those divets really easily. You HAVE to place them upright because the divets are not big enough to keep the egg in place on its side. You could maybe design something to place into the divets that would hold a peafowl egg sideways, but it would be difficult to do so without it hitting the other rows and it's probably not worth it.

In short, I wouldn't use that turner if you are around enough to turn the eggs 3-5 times a day.

Armando my turner is like yours. Somewhere I was given the idea of using plastic canvas which I strapped on the egg turner with plastic ties. Then brought up and plastic tied together. I put in 3 of these. That held the first eggs I got. Then I got 6 more eggs. Not enough room to add more plastic but was happy to find that they fit between the one I made. They say that these turners still don't do the whole trick for the pea eggs that they need to be turned 5x's per day end over end the first week and 3x's till lock down 3 days before the hatch. My turner is white and canvas is white so I hope you can see in the picture. Make sure ties connection is at top so the racks don't get stuck while rolling back and forth on it. Good luck this is my first time also. So I might be the blind leading the blind here. Hope pictures help.

Back
Top Bottom