Please help with sick peacock

I change the garbage bag out everyday to keep the smell down and her coop is spacious and she has a space heater in there so the room stays at 80-85 degrees all the time.

its not a very good pic but its her two story hospital coop. I had built it for the peachicks when we fist gotthem but the two out grew it and little blue is out with the rest of the pea crew and shes in the copp and I added onto it so she had more space amd higher perches.

its not a very good pic but its her two story hospital coop. I had built it for the peachicks when we fist gotthem but the two out grew it and little blue is out with the rest of the pea crew and shes in the copp and I added onto it so she had more space amd higher perches.
That's a great set-up!

-Kathy

I also like in the muscle for birds, 'cause like you, I have a hard time keeping the needle in the right spot when trying to give it under the skin.

Also glad to see that you dosed them by weight!
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I had a good teacher
thumbsup.gif
Shay still needs to know how much of the Tylan 50 for her bird that weighs two pounds. I am guessing a little over one ml/cc? And I think she will be doing drench unless we can talk her into doing an injection...

Quote: Interesting you should mention this... I was just looking at the Tylan powder spec, and it says chickens should get 50mg per pound (110mg/kg) per day and turkeys should get 60mg per pound (132mg/kg) per day, that's a lot, and I'm not sure how that translates to the liquid.

At those doses:
Tylan 50 for a one pound Chicken = 1ml
Tylan 200 for a one pound Chicken = 0.25ml
Tylan 50 for a one pound Turkey = 1.2ml
Tylan 200 for a one pound Turkey = 0.3ml

I know with Baytril it doesn't matter if you give it orally or by injection, either way, it's the total number of mg per day that's important. I suspect that Tylan will work better if given twice a day, especially if given orally.

http://www.elanco.us/products-services/poultry/water-soluble-crd-control.aspx
Chickens, NE indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for a single five-day period in broiler chickers. To assure all birds receive the intended medication, only medicated water should be available. These practices should be followed to assure both food safety and responsible antimicrobial drug use in chickens:
    1. Use in flocks exhibiting signs of a necrotic enteritis outbreak, for example, increased mortality and lesions characteristic of necrotic enteritis upon necropsy;
    2. Administer the full dose and dosing regimen once medication is initiated;
    3. Use of Tylan Soluble or another macrolide is not advised if additional therapy is needed beyond the original course of medication.
CRD indications:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for one to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated chickens must consume enough medicated water to provide 50 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.
Turkeys:

• Administer medicated drinking water for three days; however, medicated water may be administered for two to five days depending upon severity of infection. Treated turkeys must consume enough medicated water to provide 60 mg per pound of body weight per day. Only medicated water should be available to the birds.
I haven't had my coffee yet, so someone please check my math! Also note that I am not suggesting any amount, I just trying to figure out what the dose should be.

This picture seems to support the higher daily dose:

-Kathy

Last edited:
I think @Shay1Bear should give the amount @KsKingBee used, which was 0.25ml Tylan 200 to a 1000 gram bird? If so, that's equal to 1ml of Tylan 50, and If I were going to give it orally, I would divide that 1ml dose into two or three doses per day.

-Kathy

Quote: Based on the amount of Tylan 200 you gave, that would be ~1ml of Tylan 50. Orally I would give 0.5ml twice a day or 0.33ml three times a day.

-Kathy

Disclaimer - I only used Tylan 50 once. The bird I treated weighed 1kg (1000 grams or 2.2 pounds) and I gave it 0.8ml (40mg/kg) IM. That one shot caused a nasty, necrotic spot at the injection site. Not saying I wouldn't do it again, just that it's something to keep an eye out for.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Nice hospital coop
what i was asking where was she living and on what when she got sick and did you put her back in the same place when she got better and then remove her cause she got sick again?? although the photo is blurry her feathers look very ruffed and looks to be lacking the tail feathers was she with a bunch of other birds to where this could happen or did they grow in that way? feather condition can tell you alot about a bird
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom