Please Help! Worried! Peking Duck brooding behavior advice

Pics

Nanettr

Chirping
Jul 8, 2019
Charleston SC
i need help please!! I bought a house recently and “acquired” the pet ducks as well (one male Peking, one female Peking and one male Khaki Campbell). I have a brooding Peking. 29 days today. Started with 19 eggs and she is down to 12. Over the last week/ten days, she has been cracking the eggs and eating them. Is she eating nonviable eggs only or is she killing the ducklings? Do I need to take the eggs away? I have captured this behavior on our outdoor camera. I don't know what to do and have no experience. Very worried!

Last edited:
If she is eating them now she might be eating ducklings since 28-30 days is the norm for hatching ducklings. Do you have a drake? If me I'd do some candling but wait till she comes off the nest to eat and drink.

:welcome

If she is eating them now she might be eating ducklings since 28-30 days is the norm for hatching ducklings. Do you have a drake? If me I'd do some candling but wait till she comes off the nest to eat and drink.

:welcome
So they can / do eat ducklings? Yes we have a male Peking and a male Khaki Campbell. Is it easy to tell if viable? She only comes off the nest once a day for about an hour. Can I use a regular flashlight? Does it have to be at night?

LED is better and you can find a dark spot a closet will work
they can eat ducklings I don't know how common. Here is your chart
933a5eb4d9faafcb7515148d8302e0e8.jpg

So they can / do eat ducklings? Yes we have a male Peking and a male Khaki Campbell. Is it easy to tell if viable? She only comes off the nest once a day for about an hour. Can I use a regular flashlight? Does it have to be at night?

She ate one egg yesterday and one today. Sorry so graphic but the one yesterday was heavy and stinky. Today the membrane was thin on the inside of the shell that was left.

Following this thread with interest because I have a broody Cayuga duck who has started missing eggs.
I have game cameras set up now so I will report back what I find out.

Back
Top Bottom