Please Help! Worried! Peking Duck brooding behavior advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nanettr, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Nanettr

Nanettr Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Charleston SC
    i need help please!! I bought a house recently and “acquired” the pet ducks as well (one male Peking, one female Peking and one male Khaki Campbell). I have a brooding Peking. 29 days today. Started with 19 eggs and she is down to 12. Over the last week/ten days, she has been cracking the eggs and eating them. Is she eating nonviable eggs only or is she killing the ducklings? Do I need to take the eggs away? I have captured this behavior on our outdoor camera. I don't know what to do and have no experience. Very worried!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

If she is eating them now she might be eating ducklings since 28-30 days is the norm for hatching ducklings. Do you have a drake? If me I'd do some candling but wait till she comes off the nest to eat and drink.

:welcome

3. Nanettr

Nanettr Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Charleston SC
    So they can / do eat ducklings? Yes we have a male Peking and a male Khaki Campbell. Is it easy to tell if viable? She only comes off the nest once a day for about an hour. Can I use a regular flashlight? Does it have to be at night?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

LED is better and you can find a dark spot a closet will work
    they can eat ducklings I don't know how common. Here is your chart
    [​IMG]

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  5. Nanettr

Nanettr Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Charleston SC
    She ate one egg yesterday and one today. Sorry so graphic but the one yesterday was heavy and stinky. Today the membrane was thin on the inside of the shell that was left.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

They maybe bad eggs she is getting rid of too. Does she have feed and water close by?

7. Nanettr

Nanettr Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Charleston SC
    She has eaten a total of 7 in the last 10 days

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. Nanettr

Nanettr Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Charleston SC
    Yes I have clean fresh water near her 24/7 . SHe doesn't even have to get off the nest to drink and I feed her the regular fed 3 times a day

9. Miss Lydia

Wow that is a lot. Please candle and post back, she maybe sitting on time bombs about to explode if they are rotten. So be careful handling.

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  10. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN"

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Following this thread with interest because I have a broody Cayuga duck who has started missing eggs.
    I have game cameras set up now so I will report back what I find out.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: