Please HELP! Young Silkie injured!

Does he raise his head up, or does it seem stuck down like that. It could be wry or crook neck which is a neurolgical symptom of head injuries, diseases, and vitamin deficiency. As Suzie said, silkies with vaulted skulls are prone to head injuries, and they are also prone to wry neck. I agree with keeping him warm--put a thermometer on the floor and keep it at 80 degrees F, and keeping him quiet. Offer him fluids and electrolytes with a tiny bowl or dip his beak into it. Food isn't important for a day or so. Part his feathers just to make sure there aren't major injuries that are bleeding. It's not uncommon to find an injury later on. Get some poultry vitamins (many have electrolytes in them) and put them in his water. Chickens commonly will be in shock for a bit after an attack, so rest is important. Silkies are kind of fragile, so I hope he makes it.

I just got the heat lamp turned on. While I was putting it up he woke up stretched his wings and walk around a little. I'm going to try and find his wounds.

If it is wry neck, the most important vitamins are thiamine (B1,) vitamin E, and selenium. Some people will use PolyVisol baby vitamins 2-3 drops by mouth daily, and give 25 mcg of selenium, but there is selenium in eggs, low sodium canned tuna, sunflower seeds, and chopped Brazil nuts. I would try to find any wounds without stressing him now, and just quickly clean off , and apply your antibiotic ointment. I prefer Neosporin (has Neomycin plus 2 others) or Bacitracin ointment for later. Here is a link about wry neck:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

Oh and yes, he is lifting his head more. I think he only has one wound because when I checked under the feathers on his wing where the blood was there was nothing so I think it dripped from his wound near his head.

lightchick..

You are in expert hands now with Eggcessive..I am off for the night now..it is almost 2.00am here...wishing you and the Silkie chicken the very best of luck...keep updating...I won't sleep well...but will check for any progress when I am online in about 6 hours from now...

Good news about his head. Those things would be fine to use, and even plain dish soap and water will work to clean the wound. Peroxide can be used just once to clean wounds. I'm glad to hear that he is walking around. Many chickens when attacked with just freeze up and not move. It's good that you found him when you did.

Good news about his head. Those things would be fine to use, and even plain dish soap and water will work to clean the wound. Peroxide can be used just once to clean wounds. I'm glad to hear that he is walking around. Many chickens when attacked with just freeze up and not move. It's good that you found him when you did.
He just stands there most of the time, but he will walk around a little.
I found out that the wound on his head is mostly a scab. I couldn't get any of the blood off the wound, but I'm starting to think that it's just a big scab.
I "washed" it with a wet paper towel and then put the antiseptic on. Should I put the antibiotic on now?

Back
Top Bottom