Please HELP! Young Silkie injured!

Likely to be a hawk...cats would not normally attack a chicken of such age being 13 weeks he is not a young chick... you must be distraught at this happening when you are looking after the chickens of a friend...you are doing a wonderful act here...if he survives it will be due to your care.... keep your faith he will likely be much better after a rest at your home...
I'm pretty upset. He's actually one of the chicks me and my friend ordered from a hatchery together!

Here another pic of him. He's sleeping with his head hanging down (when I found him he was under a pickup and he was like this. Oh and his crop is pretty much empty. His poop is white. (does that mean anything)

I don't know what your night temperatures are ....it may be a good idea if the night is not warm to put him under a heat lamp...he needs to conserve his energy for healing right now. You could try adding some sugar to his water,,offer him some scrambled egg,,,it may be a good idea to trim feathers where you can see blood...the area(s) need to be examined and treated accordingly..you will also see how deep or superficial the wounds are....

Oh and heat lamp? Should I or should I not?
idunno.gif
Thanks for all your help so far!
smile.png

I gave him sugar water right after I got him home. I had to leave (maybe 3 hours) so I couldn't do anything right away.

I am going to PM casportpony..she may well have another aspect to helping your friends sick chicken..hang in there...she will be with you shortly....

Back
Top Bottom