please help

rIrs roost

Sir Crows A lot
Aug 20, 2015
Rockingham NC
My hen has one eye closed but open occasionally but not long. She's not eating well and stands in one place a lot. What can I do? What's wrong with her? Also is the egg safe to eat?

Last edited:
Please anyone. I looked on other treads and found where others have had this problem but I haven't seen where anyone has said what it is or if it's treatable. I have cp and it's sometimes hard for me to understand what I'm reading. May be I just overlooked it. I'm trying to look again now. Will tylan shot help.? I did see that somewhere on here. I love my little hen. She's my favorite.

Last edited:
Hi there! This could be one of many different illness so bear with me on all the questions.

First of all, feel her abdomen, is it swollen? Then feel her crop, is it empty, squishy, or hard? Also smell her breath, does it smell normal, or yeasty? Lift up her feathers, are there any black dots on her skin? Is her comb bright red or pale? How's her breathing, is it raspy, or is she breathing with her beak open?

Breath smells fine,crop feels squishy with like feed or sand in it. No black dots,cone is bright red. Abdominal is fine. Are her eggs still good to eat????

I have noticed that her beak looks chipped. Could she have gotten pecked in the eye? But she still stands in one place a lot. She's normally all over the yard feeding and comes running when I catch her a cricket. She did run to me slower than usual today .

Last edited:
Breath smells fine,crop feels squishy with like feed or sand in it. No black dots,cone is bright red. Abdominal is fine. Are her eggs still good to eat????

That's good. Have you wormed her lately? Her eggs should be fine unless you just wormed her, or she's been on antibiotics.

I have noticed that her beak looks chipped. Could she have gotten pecked in the eye? But she still stands in one place a lot. She's normally all over the yard feeding and comes running when I catch her a cricket. She did run to me slower than usual today .

She could have possibly gotten pecked in the eye. Look at her eye, is it swollen or is there any pus? Is there any peck marks on her face?

I really didn't see any peck marks. My kids just told me that the roo accidentally knocked her off the ladder yesterday so maybe she hit something on the way down. I have not worked her and no antibiotic. Being so new to this I had no idea that they needed to be wormed. Does tsc carry it and how do u worm them.? Sorry for all the questions but it really helping me. I never thought that I'd be so attached to a chicken lol. I love all six of the but she's my favorite. She loves me too. Hard to believe how they can get attached to us too. I'd be sick if something happened to her.

I really didn't see any peck marks. My kids just told me that the roo accidentally knocked her off the ladder yesterday so maybe she hit something on the way down. I have not worked her and no antibiotic. Being so new to this I had no idea that they needed to be wormed. Does tsc carry it and how do u worm them.? Sorry for all the questions but it really helping me. I never thought that I'd be so attached to a chicken lol. I love all six of the but she's my favorite. She loves me too. Hard to believe how they can get attached to us too. I'd be sick if something happened to her.
You say her crop feels a bit squishy and gritty? Crops are best checked first thing in the morning when they should be empty. So tomorrow morning if she has a squishy crop she probably has a slow or sour crop. Stop by this article for more info on this....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

If she does have something going on with her crop and you haven't wormed her in a couple of years, I would suspect she is loaded with worms. Take a look at this article on worming your birds for more help...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/internal-parasites-parasitic-worms-in-chickens

For now you might separate her out from the others in a cage so she is not bothered. However keep her with the others in the coop so integrating her back in is easy. I would also give her a complete physical from beak to tail looking for mites or lice, feel between her legs on the outside and see if her liver is distended (compare her to other hens) check her for egg binding with an internal exam, check for wounds under her wings or back of the neck from the rooster spurs, etc...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks so much two crows. I have check her for mites, red bugs, and I've looked at her poop for worms. Didn't see any but I understand that some worms you can't see. She's still scratching around the yard and eating . Just not like she usually does. I did give her a worm and she come running four that. I'll definitely look at those links. Thanks.

Well I hope I did the right thing. Time will tell. I started working the chickens with wazine. Do I just do it for 24hours? I also gave the hen a shot oxytetracycline. Hopefully tomorrow I'll see some results. How often do I need to inject her with the oxytetracycline?

Back
Top Bottom