Please help

Dsmitt

Chirping
Aug 5, 2020
We have 14 bantam polish and 7 silkie Eggs that we’re incubating, they all developed very well until day 16 which when we put them into lockdown, our humidity levels through incubation were 40-58% (I read somewhere for bantam chickens it better to put in lockdown at day 16)- please let me know if I’m wrong. Anyway we moved them to a better incubator and put them upright in eggs cartons, the eggs wiggling on day 16 and 17, but now it is the end of day 21 and there has been no pip or movement, should we have nothing to worry about, or what went wrong?

Did you calibrate your thermometer ? If they incubated at a slightly low temperature , it will take them a bit longer to hatch. If you saw movement on day 16, I think that you are still okay. Good luck for a successful hatch.

Have you candled any to check for internal pips? I don't think they'd be able to wiggle much set upright like that, so that may not mean much. You could easily have been running cool as sourland suggests.

sourland,our incubator wasn’t very accurate so we had an extra thermometer in there, it was between 98-100 90% of the time, but the humidity was pretty high, I just want to make sure I didn’t ruin the air cells. Thank you so much for responding

Kireah, I have not candles to see, should I? I heard putting them upright helps them access the aircell better, do you think I killed them, or they are just hatching a little late?

Give them some time.
Most of mine hatch overnight on day 21.
I know how easy it is to worry, but they're fine at the moment.
I wouldn't worry until the night of the 22nd day, at least.
Yours aren't late, yet.

Well, there isn't much you can do either way. If you want to check for internal pips, you could also play them some clucking hen sounds and see if any of them cheep back at you when you turn it off. My hatching eggs always want to talk to my temperature alarm if it goes off.
I don't think setting them upright hurt them, and it might help in situations where your air cells are underdeveloped.
It's unlikely to hurt them if you quickly candle a couple- you could even hold the flashlight up to them without picking them up, you'll be able to see if they've drawn down fairly easily. But no matter what you see, I'd still leave them in there.

Kireah, Onehappyrooster, and Sourland. Thank you so much for responding, we ended up candling them and found out that half of them died early on and the other half died sometime during lockdown, only one made it through the aircell than died, super disappointing, we had them in a crappy incubator anyway, we will just use the Brinsea permanently for now own

Back
Top Bottom