Please help

4loveofhens

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2020
One of our Isa Bown girls is unwell. She has recently stopped laying as much, she starts and stops and and we are in the middle of spring, she is about 2 years and 3 months old. Her eggs have always been abnormally much larger than her sisters as well which seem to have caused her some issues at times.
The past couple weeks she has started acting strange, she has started standing in one spot and then flaps her wings and does like a weird kind of crowing sound. She has done that maybe 3 or 4 times.
Than a few days ago she was standing on concrete in one spot and looked puffy and she was standing like a penguin (bum pointing down to floor) I watched her for a few minutes and wen I turned away for a minute I looked back and there was an egg all broken up and her sisters were eating it. So I'm thinking she laid a broken egg or soft shell egg that broke when it hit the concrete?
Now this morning she was in her nesting box, I noticed about 10 minutes later she came out so I went and checked and found yellow yolk all stuck on the other girls eggs and in the straw.
So I think she might have laid another egg without a shell?
After that she was fine, eating and running around the garden.
But at about 4:30pm my partner noticed she had been sitting in the same place for a long time and when we went outside and gave them some of their favourite treats she was not interested.
Then we inspected her and she is all puffed up, she is lethargic, not really interested in food (got her to take like two mouth fulls, wont walk around, put water near her and she drank about 5 mouth fulls. She has also done diarrhea 3 times and it looks very white and kind of like the white part of an egg.
I had some left over antibiotics that the Vet gave me a while back when he thought one of the other girls had an infection, so I gave her 0.05ml in her mouth as it is liquid form and he has told me it is a broad spectrum antibiotic.
Could this be Egg yolk peritonitis?
Thanks for any help as I'm very worried because one of our other girls passed away last week very unexpectedly when I took her to the Vet due to her going down hill in 2 days very badly but with different symptoms.

(I have attached 3 pics of her poop but if there is a way I could share a video to show the crowing thing she is doing please let me know)

Attachments

• 20201022_181647.jpg
    20201022_181647.jpg
    792.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201022_181832.jpg
    20201022_181832.jpg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201022_185245.jpg
    20201022_185245.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 3
I am not sure, but the one thing that I know is that ISAs are a hybrid chicken that were intentionally bred to lay an unnatural amount of eggs and can be prone to lots of reproductive issues. At 2 years old, her body may be over it. I have a 3 y/o ISA who has been having issues for awhile; I don’t think she lays anymore and she walks around with a pale face and her comb flopped over. I tried to treat her for various different things; now I’m just letting her live out the rest of her chicken life and when she dies, she dies. I’m sorry this is happening, once the chicken disease experts wake up I’m sure they’ll have more advice for you. I’m just trying to say that this is not 100% unusual for this particular “breed.” There lifespan is only 3 to 5 years bc of the copious egg laying.

ISA browns are bred to lay more eggs than the amount that would naturally occur, and that can cause a lot of issues. The penguin-stance you mentioned is usually a symptom of egg prolapse, but that doesn't really match up with the other symptoms. You should feed her some scrambled eggs, they give protein and help the way to healing, but i'm not quite sure what else you can do for her.

ISA browns are bred to lay more eggs than the amount that would naturally occur, and that can cause a lot of issues. The penguin-stance you mentioned is usually a symptom of egg prolapse, but that doesn't really match up with the other symptoms. You should feed her some scrambled eggs, they give protein and help the way to healing, but i'm not quite sure what else you can do for her.
If I can respectfully interject, the penguin stance and tail bobbing are a sign of being egg bound. There is no such thing as an egg prolapse - what you mean is prolapsed vent. That would be very visible, the vent would be red and inflamed and almost have an inside-out appearance. It sounds more like this hen is having reproductive issues that are causing it to not be able to pass properly.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have given her 2 doses if antibiotics now and i really hope they make an improvement. My girls are all sleeping now as its nearly 11pm here so I really hope in the morning she will be feeling better.
Also by the way all my girls are rescues, some were rescued from an abattoir but the 3 Isa Browns I rescued before they were put in a battery cage.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have given her 2 doses if antibiotics now and i really hope they make an improvement. My girls are all sleeping now as its nearly 11pm here so I really hope in the morning she will be feeling better.
Also by the way all my girls are rescues, some were rescued from an abattoir but the 3 Isa Browns I rescued before they were put in a battery cage.
Which makes even more sense.... ISAs can live a longer life with proper care, but it sounds like your girls didn’t get a proper start in life. Thank goodness for people like you; if she doesn’t make it at least you made her last years wonderful and let her live like a chicken. You sound like a good person, and I hope you take comfort in that.

Which makes even more sense.... ISAs can live a longer life with proper care, but it sounds like your girls didn’t get a proper start in life. Thank goodness for people like you; if she doesn’t make it at least you made her last years wonderful and let her live like a chicken. You sound like a good person, and I hope you take comfort in that.

Thank you very much, yes I love my girls. I'm also Vegetarian, leaning towards Vegan so I care for all animals and try to do my best for them. They have the entire backyard to run free during the day with my cat who loves them too. They eat together n even sometimes sleep together during the day.

Sorry she's not well.

It does sound like she's starting to have reproductive problems.
Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc. have similar symptoms.
The antibiotics may help if she had egg leak from the membrane into the oviduct.
I would make sure she's got oyster shell free choice. You can also give her extra Calcium for 3 days (1/2 tablet Caltrate).
Sadly, these conditions are common in laying hens. The hen can feel better for a while then have difficulty, sometimes addressing symptoms and making them comfortable is about all you can do.
Check her for lice/mites, de-worm if you have problems with worms, make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Back
Top Bottom