Please help

Chief43

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2020
Chief43 said:
Help !! We had 12 chickens ...lost three about 4-5 weeks apart...no blood.. no trauma They all eat the same food...two of them were the same breed...getting concerned seems like a pattern..Any ideas thanks

Chief43 said:
Help !! We had 12 chickens ...lost three about 4-5 weeks apart...no blood.. no trauma They all eat the same food...two of them were the same breed...getting concerned seems like a pattern..Any ideas thanks
Wyorp Rock said you need to provide more information...

Photos of your birds, their poop and housing.

How old are they?
What do you feed?
How are they housed?
What symptoms do you see? What are they doing?
Where are you located in the world?

Can you describe a little more of how you found them. In the coop or run? What time of day?
After you lost the three weeks ago, have you lost more?
Two were under the coop. Found them at dusk...I lock them in the coop at night... The third one was in a separate cage in the garage ..I was trying to nurse her back to health...the third one died a few days ago!!

Sounds like some kind of disease to me. What symptoms were the one in the garage having? Did you notice any of these in the other birds? Could your feed have been moldy? Is there any exposure to anything moldy in the coop, or anything toxic on the property they could have eaten? Tell us EVERYTHING you feed including table scraps, treats, and supplements. Do they free range, could they had eaten a poisonous plant free ranging?

We feed Purina layers, 5 grain scratch and table scrapes vegetables some melon...also different kinds of store bought treats...the girls were just kind of starring and very lethargic......their about10 months old...I don’t see mold anywhere...they don’t free range...large run with coop which I lock up at night... I think I have a fourth bird sick...thank you for your advise...

We feed Purina layers, 5 grain scratch and table scrapes vegetables some melon...also different kinds of store bought treats...the girls were just kind of starring and very lethargic......their about10 months old...I don’t see mold anywhere...they don’t free range...large run with coop which I lock up at night... I think I have a fourth bird sick...thank you for your advise...
What are the ages of the birds? And what specific table scraps.... there are several things that chickens can’t eat.

10 months old ... I always check the computer before giving them anything to eat to make sure it’s okay...

I am sorry you are having such trouble with your pullets.

Did you check them and the coop for poultry mites, lice or other parasites?
When did you last de-worm them?
Where from and at what age did you purchase them?
Have they been vaccinated, and if so, what against?
How does the feed smell?
What milling date or 'best before' is printed on the bag and where did you store it?
I do not know where you live, so could there be some poisonous critters around like spiders or other bugs?

ETA: If you lose another pullet you could send it in for necropsy to know for sure.

10 months old ... I always check the computer before giving them anything to eat to make sure it’s okay...
Do you have a local vet who would be willing to do a necropsy? That is usually the best way to figure out what happened, since there are a plethora of chicken diseases / issues. Very sorry for your losses

Back
Top Bottom