Please help

We feed Purina layers, 5 grain scratch and table scrapes vegetables some melon...also different kinds of store bought treats...the girls were just kind of starring and very lethargic......their about10 months old...I don’t see mold anywhere...they don’t free range...large run with coop which I lock up at night... I think I have a fourth bird sick...thank you for your advise...
Please post some photos of the sick bird, her poop and your coop/run.

Lethargic and staring?
What does your feed smell like - how are you feeding? Look at the feed that is in the feeders - does it have green or white tint to it?

Where are you located in the world?

we r in Asheville NC ..no bugs in the coop that i can see...food is fresh...bought them from a local farmer on facebook ...not sure about shots...cant find the seller back...its been about 7 months

C205FC22-3D7B-4A0C-82C5-D3B6ECCAD9E2.jpeg

I am also in North Carolina (Lincolnton) and we battle worms regularly because of the moist / humid conditions. I would guess some sort of internal parasite; I would take a fecal sample to a vet and have them checked.
When examining their bodies, did anyone seem super skinny?

I am also in North Carolina (Lincolnton) and we battle worms regularly because of the moist / humid conditions. I would guess some sort of internal parasite; I would take a fecal sample to a vet and have them checked.
When examining their bodies, did anyone seem super skinny?
Yes very light

Yes very light
If they seem skinny but have been eating a lot, more than usual, they may have worms of some sort that are eating up all the food before they get a chance to digest it. If the breastbone (called a keet, I believe) is protruding and very pronounced I would call that underweight. Sometimes it’s hard to tell under all those feathers.

I would still be looking at feed to make sure it's not moldy.
Add some straw to your run to help get them out of the mud.
Worming and treating for Coccidiosis might be a good idea.
If you wish to just go ahead and do that, then get some Corid and Safeguard at Tractor Supply. Otherwise, call the Arden/Fletcher state lab and ask if you can bring in some poop samples for a fecal float. They are located right off the Asheville Airport exit next to the Ag Center. (phone# and link below)

If you just want to treat yourself without a fecal float, then let us know I'll give you dosing info.
If you lose another hen, then getting a necropsy will give you better information about what you may be dealing with. You would take the body to that same lab.

Arden Laboratory
785 Airport Road
Fletcher, NC 28732
Phone: (828) 684-8188
http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/VetLabDirectoryArden.html

Thank you all for your kind words...I went to Tractor Supply and the person there also told me to corid ...she was guessing at the mixture.. I will take sample tomorrow...thank you

Back
Top Bottom