1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Duckiee, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Duckiee

Duckiee New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Okay, I have incubating Mallard eggs, and they just pipped. I've been keeping a constant eye on them. I leave sight of the incubator for less than five minutes, and my brother, who happens to be ten years old, cracked the egg open around the air space. I don't know if it will survive, the membrane is starting to dry out. The chick is still alive, well, and the yolk which can be seen in the end of the egg still, is in fact receeding... What do I do?![​IMG]

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    You might lay a wet paper towel over that end, and then put the egg back in the bator and let the duckling come out when he's ready.

Oh, and keep your brother out of that room.

3. Duckiee

Duckiee New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    I'll do this, but will it ensure its survival? The membrane of the air sac is dry..., so when it starts struggling to get out, what do I do then???

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You may have to mist it with a spray bottle, but usually the wet paper towel trick works.

5. Duckiee

Duckiee New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Well, I think I waited too long, but if this ever happens again, thank you very much, now I know what I'll need to do...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by