Please help

rachel1977

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
My 4 month old leghorn hen has a dime size hole in the back of her neck it's not bleeding right now the feathers are missing an it looks raw I've never had chickens before so I have no idea what to do I put some neosporin on it as best I could but when I tried to put her back in the coop the other chickens were trying to peck at her so I put her in a dog crate outside the coop with straw, food an water I don't know how this happened please tell me what to do I have 18 other hens an 1newly found that we had rooster could he be the bully or the other hens I have know idea I'm just so worried I can try to get a picture tomorrow any an all advice is highly welcomed

Your hen may have been pecked or may have been mated by an overly aggressive rooster (most of the young ones are that.) The neosporin sounds good. Blu-Kote is a coloring agent that is also antiseptic/antifungal that is good to hide the red wound so they don't peck it. If you have a new chicken or rooster, you should always isolate them (quarantine) for up to 30 days to make sure they don't come with diseases.

Don't use Neo on something like this, the Blu-Kote is better as it masks the red color of blood and birds cannot see the blue color so it masks the red blood, as Eggcessive said, so they don't pick. Neo on the other hand makes a shiny place that the other chickens will want to investigate...with their beaks. Something else I've found that will work along with the Blu-Kote is a product called Phooey. You can find it at pet stores in the dog section. It's a product, like bitter orange, that is sold to stop dogs and cats from chewing on themselves. It works with chickens as well. You also did the right thing with removing her from the others until this heals a bit.

Chickens are omnivorous and if they see and get a taste of blood will happily practise cannibalism on their flock mates. If the hole on her is dime sized, more than one tried a taste and you will need to keep a close eye on all of the others to see if you can spot the instigator and make sure another bird isn't victimized. Sometimes, if the problem isn't found quickly, there is no way to stop this behavior except through culling of the offending bird or birds. I have never heard of a roo instigating picking on a hen. Mounting and tearing her open, yeah, roos are not the most gentle of creatures in this respect. When this happens it is normally the other hens that will move in and start on the poor bird.

I am going through a time with this myself right now and one thing I am doing and getting results from is throwing a couple of apples into their pen to keep them busy and out of trouble. Do your birds go outside to range or in a pen? Usually, if you can keep them busy, during the daylight hours, this stuff will slow down and go away.

Don't use Neo on something like this, the Blu-Kote is better as it masks the red color of blood and birds cannot see the blue color so it masks the red blood, as Eggcessive said, so they don't pick.  Neo on the other hand makes a shiny place that the other chickens will want to investigate...with their beaks.  Something else I've found that will work along with the Blu-Kote is a product called Phooey.  You can find it at pet stores in the dog section.  It's a product, like bitter orange, that is sold to stop dogs and cats from chewing on themselves.  It works with chickens as well.  You also did the right thing with removing her from the others until this heals a bit.

Chickens are omnivorous and if they see and get a taste of blood will happily practise cannibalism on their flock mates.  If the hole on her is dime sized, more than one tried a taste and you will need to keep a close eye on all of the others to see if you can spot the instigator and make sure another bird isn't victimized.  Sometimes, if the problem isn't found quickly, there is no way to stop this behavior except through culling of the offending bird or birds.  I have never heard of a roo instigating picking on a hen.  Mounting and tearing her open, yeah, roos are not the most gentle of creatures in this respect.  When this happens it is normally the other hens that will move in and start on the poor bird. 

I am going through a time with this myself right now and one thing I am doing and getting results from is throwing a couple of apples into their pen to keep them busy and out of trouble.  Do your birds go outside to range or in a pen?  Usually, if you can keep them busy, during the daylight hours, this stuff will slow down and go away.

I'm not sure who did it I'm hoping tractor supply is open today so I can get some blue coat are rooster we have had since a week old when we got them all but I was suppose to have all 20 hens but just recently found out one is a rooster ( miss sexed ) I think but I have noticed the hens are pecking at each other they were in a run for a while i didnt want them to get bored so I have been letting them free roam now that I know my dogs an cats leave them alone but they are only out if I'm home so they can be watched is there anything I can put on it until I get to the store she really wants to be with the other chickens but they really want to peck her I can see that in their eyes but I let her out an the others really want out but I'm keeping them in the run so my leghorn hen can get exercise out of the dog crate

Last edited:
I would do it the other way around if you can, confine the injured one and let the others go. You could try some blue food coloring if you happen to have some, but really, even BluKote is not a guarantee they won't peck a wound -- I keep some aorund and use it once in a while, and haven't had it fail, but have read of this happening. The Phooey is a great idea. I've read of similar products that make the wound taste bad to them. Some people swear by pine tar to discourage pecking (sold for horses) but if nothing else it is messy. If the aggressors are determined, you're stuck with isolating the injured bird til she has no open wound. This is not a great solution because when she is returned to the flock she will probably be at the bottom of the pecking order. I'm glad to hear you can give them the run of the yard if only when you're there, because I think in the end, lots of space and forage opportunity is the best solution.

If you have a dog crate keep her in that with the rest of the flock wherever they are--in the coop or outside. That way she is safe from pecking, but still part of the group, and she won't have to be reintegrated later.

Well I bought the blue kote an put it on my hen she hates it she's shaking her head scratching an licking her feathers but I put her back with the flock an they are following her around but not being aggressive I hope an pray this works should I still isolate her at night or leave her be if they are getting along

Well I bought the blue kote an put it on my hen she hates it she's shaking her head scratching an licking her feathers but I put her back with the flock an they are following her around but not being aggressive I hope an pray this works should I still isolate her at night or leave her be if they are getting along
Yes. You can't be there 24/7 and if she's already taking it off herself, the others will be watching and get in on it as well. Check her every chance you get to make sure she isn't showing any red and if she is, hit her with the Blu-Kote again.

Back
Top Bottom