PLEASE HELP !!!! :(

chickenman786

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Hi my 11 month old hen, has been getting ill really often. I think she gets egg bound as she goes quiet and puffs up her feathers only to release small amounts of mucus (yellow/ dark green) like poo. Usually when this happens she stays puffed up for about 3-4 hours and then releases egg york and white first followed by a soft small egg shell with a string attached. The next day is she would be back to normal.

Yesterday however she is showed the exact same symptoms but has did not pass anything out. This morning when i checked on her , she is still in that same state.

Does someone know why she always gets ill like this? She has access to grit/ shells too. One thing i noticed about her is that she lays really large eggs but is the thinnest and lightest amongst the other hens her age. Could the large eggs be a factor for this?

Please help :( i dont want her to die

It sounds like she is having some internal issues going on with her egg production. She does occasionally lay normal eggs? Then she has a day or two of this issue? Have you tried giving her calcium tablet or liquid calcium when she is this way?

If she isn't eating or drinking on her own, refusing when you try to give her something she usually scarfs up I would tube feed her. Below is the best possible thread for tube feeding, a bunch of info there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Yes mostly she lays perfectly normal eggs its only the one or two odd days every few weeks this happens. I just checked on her just now. She has passed out egg york and white first as expected then a while later passed out the egg shell (like a baloon).

Do you know what causes her to get ill like this ?

It sounds like she is having some internal issues going on with her egg production. She does occasionally lay normal eggs? Then she has a day or two of this issue? Have you tried giving her calcium tablet or liquid calcium when she is this way?

If she isn't eating or drinking on her own, refusing when you try to give her something she usually scarfs up I would tube feed her. Below is the best possible thread for tube feeding, a bunch of info there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Back
Top Bottom