Please Hold My Hand

Be careful not to candle too much as it will chill the egg & release humidity from
your bator.
It's addicting watching those blobs in the shells. We are on day 11 with a batch and I've
candled 4 times already.
roll.png

Don
(typing with one hand, driving south on i-91 with the other)

ep.gif
PC.........you KNOW better.......both for driving and typing and just look at you...telling me to wait to candle and there you go ...candlin away.....shame on you..........
gig.gif
stay warm out there.........
big_smile.png

Edited to add.....My temps are holding steady !

Last edited:
PC you got busted.
D.gif

"(typing with one hand, driving south on i-91 with the other)" Where's your coffee? It is possible to steer with your knees yaknow
cool.png

Don't worry Oki, remember were all holding hands here.
hugs.gif

big_smile.png
Coffee was in the cup holder. Good thing I wasn't chewing gum or I would
have crashed and burned. There was heavy traffic and was moving at 10mph.
I don't mind risking my life but I'd hate to hurt someone else. This isn't a big truck
but I am over 5 tons (Extended E250 overloaded).

Seriously on the bator things. I know I'm a broken record but I had a few bad hatches
with my styrofoam bators because I was stupid and kept opening it. My Brinsea
holds much better but when I hit day 18 next Monday you guys are gonna have to
keep my hands out of it.

I really want to see both you (and everyone else) have GREAT first hatches!!!
fl.gif

Can I hijack - kinda and ask HOW do you decrease the humidity?

I have a still air Hova. Can I put the eggs right on the metal thingie at the bottom? (the wire)

I've had the bator running for a while, I got the temp PERFECT (kinda - LOL) and the humidity was really really low (25) so I added a little dish with a wet sponge, it didn't make any diff. So I added water to the little channels at the bottom and the humidity jumped up to something like 75!!!!

(no eggs in it yet!!)

Humidity is a fun balancing act. I can't imagine how a hen does it. Maybe it
a hormone release towards the end that causes her body to put out more
moisture.

Anyways. There are several channels. Only fill them one at a time and monitor
humidity. There are also vent hole is the top of the bators with those red plugs in them.
You open to decrease humidity.

A still air bator is gonna be a sauna compared to a forced air model.

Keep the humidity around 40 for the first 18 days then bump it up to
65 for hatching.

Note: This is my experience so far. I respond to these posts like I'm an
expert and I'm not. I just like to think I learn from my mistakes. :|

Thanks PC...... I don't have the plugs for those little vent holes in the top - I covered them with tape.

The humidity has dropped to 60 right now..... I'm still slowly adjusting the temp to get it up - its around 97-98 right now. THe little adjusting leaver thingie, feels loose so its kinda tricky - and I might have to TAPE that in place once I get it spot on - it wiggles around, and I imagine when I open to turn the eggs, it might move....
roll.png

(no eggs yet - they're in the mail)

Last edited:
PC Sounds like rush hour in Chicago. I know how you feel. Be Safe.
I was fine about not opening it for the first week, now I haven't yet, other than to add water and take out one egg, but its getting hhhaaarrrddd.
tongue.png
Thanks PC you too.
jumpy.gif

Wildsky, mine has a little L shaped handel comming out of the top to adjust temps. Is that what you have? If so there should be a wing nut at the base of the handel. This wing nut should be tightened snuggly. That is what keeps your handle from moving. I hope that helps
smile.png
If the nut is not there and you are somewhat mechanically inclinded take it apart and get a wing nut at the hardware store it will be much easier and more dependable than tape.

Bob

Quote:
Am I glad you said that! I was feeling guilty that we did it again last night for the second time. We definitely have 5 little gymnasts i our eggs. The three that were not developing as still not and the 4 that were not moving as much as the buttercup X are now moving like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom