Please Hold My Hand

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RepoBob, Feb 3, 2008.

1. RepoBob

RepoBob Songster

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks Parsonswife I never knew the reason for odd# turns per day. Makes real good sence. Thanks. [​IMG]

Eryn, That would be neat. I'd love to see an actual detailed log. I don't have the patience and memory to do that. [​IMG]

Bob

2. chickabator

chickabator Songster

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    some days I turned mine 3 times and then the next day I would turn it 5 that way they get a variaty. I have seen broody hens turn them more than that so I figure they would be better off like that. But I am no expert I am just a beginner if mine hatch this will be my 4 th batch of babies but my first of shipped eggs.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  3. Before I had a turner, I just turned 2 x a day. Now the turner does the work for me. Parson's, you don't count the 6th as your day 1, count the 7th as day 1. Good luck everyone. I'm gonna candle tomorrow night.[​IMG]

4. tberggren

tberggren Songster

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Quote:Thank you Bob,
    That does help a lot.

Theresa

5. RepoBob

RepoBob Songster

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Theresa, your welcome.

Houston we have a problem.....
    Not a big one I hope, my humidity has been dropping. Last night it was at 43 this morning its at 39. I closed the air vents. I did wet the paper towel in my resivour yesterday morning, so I don't think low water is the problem. Gonna watch it closly this morning and see what happens. Temps are holding perfect.

Bob

6. RepoBob

RepoBob Songster

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Well we are 1/3 of the way there, rughly 2 weeks to go.
    I did finally found a wiggler, and put it in the bator. Temps in it are running 99.5 to 100.5 is this right. Humidity is fine now, I put in a little more water. [​IMG]

Bob

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Songster

repo...that is what my wiggler is doing and PC has said that is fine...........so ........day 4 here...haha.long way to go.all is well so far ! how many eggs did you set? I have added 4 mixed buff and ? to mine........
    my humidity makes NO sense to me........up and down all the time.........highest is 45 lowest being 25?

8. RepoBob

RepoBob Songster

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I set 36 eggs. They are a mixture from My Buff and Black Roo's and Blue and Buff hens, also "Little Chicken" a production red, she's my buddy, and one of the Orp roos. So when chicks hatch I should have an assortment. I'm very curious as to what I'll get.

My humidity has been pretty steady. Had a little drop yesterday, but its OK now. I use the vent holes to control humidity, it seems to work. I open or close the two little holes on the top of the bator as necessary.

I just can't believe how excited I am about this, like a kid in a candy store. I think I'm getting hooked. At least no nasty street corners with this addiction, all I gotta do is go out to the coop [​IMG]

Good Karma Oki.

Bob

9. Well, I candled yesterday and took out 7 eggs that were clear. The rest I couldn't tell for sure, but I did see veins on one for sure. The eggs are mostly brown. I couldn't even tell on my EE eggs. Here's hoping they will make it 14 more days:fl

10. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Songster

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Boy, is it amazing to see that little embryo swimming around! I am just in awe [​IMG] I only have one white egg, and that one I can see the little *gal* turning somersaults it seems, lol! A few of my brown ones, I can see movement now...never realized how excited I would be-just like you Bob, a kid in a candy store [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: