Please please help my chickens have worms!!! I don’t know what it is or what I should do!

Safeguard (fenbendazole) can cause feather issues if used during molt. Many have used it (including me) during molt with no problems, but some have said it did. So it's possible.
During molt I usually use Valbazen (albendazole). I know of one source that says that can also cause a fret mark on feathers, I've not seen it happen. Pyrantel Pamoate is also safe to use during molt. Dosing is a little different for all of them, so it depends on what you use.
If you choose to use the Safeguard, and you don't know for sure what worm you are dealing with, then you will need to dose them 5 days in a row, that will take care of everything except tapeworm.
Ok so wait until they stop molting. One girl is pale but I think it’s because she’s losing a lot of feathers and not laying any more. I will send you a picture of the medicine when it comes.
Thanks everyone for all the help!

So my one hen is acting a bit funny standing puffed up and not coming right away. Her vent looks odd I’ll try to get some pictures. She is molting is this from the worms? She’s not pale

It could be the worms, it could be the molting. I wouldn't wait until they are done molting to worm, that could be several months. I would worm them, since you know they have them. Waiting on the pictures of the vent...

Ok so wait until they stop molting. One girl is pale but I think it’s because she’s losing a lot of feathers and not laying any more. I will send you a picture of the medicine when it comes.
Thanks everyone for all the help
I wouldn't wait. Worms can cause death. You can use a different medication -- not Safeguard. You can use Valbazen.
It could be the worms, it could be the molting. I wouldn't wait until they are done molting to worm, that could be several months. I would worm them, since you know they have them. Waiting on the pictures of the vent...
Agree.The effects of worm overload can be death or severe damage to the the intestines and other organs.

I wouldn't wait. Worms can cause death. You can use a different medication -- not Safeguard. You can use Valbazen.

Agree.The effects of worm overload can be death or severe damage to the the intestines and other organs.
Ok! Thanks want to do the best thing for them! How much per chicken and for how long?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

And can I put safeguard on the bread? I can let them out one at a time and give them a small bit of bread with the medicine on it. I really don’t think I can squirt it in their mouth. I only have a tiny kitchen scale could I use that to weigh them?

Back
Top Bottom