Please post pics of your Ideal hatchery silkies

what about single combs , 4 toes, red combs, and pink legs.
I never kept any of mine past a few months, got them just for the color gene to work with, they were too far off type even for that.
I'm sure some folks have some decent ones, but I have ordered about 50 over the oast few years in lavender, red, grey, and a few more common colors, all were given away quickly

I've seen a lot of Siklies come out of Ideal Hatchery with normal skin pigmentation, red combs, single combs, 4 toes, etc. . . Horrible quality, even if you don't care to show or such.

Quote:
yep, all mine 3 times were over a couple year. I too have seen countless threads on here with horrible mongrels for pics, with many dissatisfied customers
They of course will never sell show quality birds at those prices, but they should AT LEAST be correct to the breed before they sell them. After All, they are advertised that way.
Something to the extent that they make no promise as to them be show quality birds, but are a true representative to the breed.

To me that means they should at least have the correct features, not just a little fuzz, most of mine had hard flight feathers and some even had full hard feathered tails.

Their lavenders were the worst. I just put in another thread how they looked just like an F1 cross to an old english to me. Well you need to go a little further than F1 before you start selling.
I'm sure they will say this isnt true, but I DO a lot of color and genetics work, and if not F1 they werent far from it.

Like I always say, they are great people, easy to work with, and very friendly, and do have a great selection. But their silkies look like vultures.
Many of their other breeds are very nice. But they do need to do some serious work on the silkies

Quote:
Did all of yours have red combs and pink (or any color other than black/slate (ish) ) legs?

I'd say 90% were off color. I wish I had some pics to show what I'm talking about, but I just gave them all to an old man here in town just to find a home for them.
The more normal colors, black, white, partridge. I have seen better pics of on here than the greys, reds, and lavs.
But trust me when I say, they are BAD!!!

i'D TRY ANOTHER HATCHERY, OR A PRIVATE BREEDER IF IT WERE ME AND YOU WERE WANTING SOMETHING TO WORK WITH. iF YOU JUST WANT SETTERS OR FUNKY LOOK YARD BIRDS, THEY'RE FINE

WOOPS cap lock was on, sorry about that.

Here are my Buff Silkies from Ideal Hatchery last year...

CIMG3499.jpg

Gus the Roo

CIMG3243.jpg

CIMG3242.jpg

none of mine have red skin, all have 5 toes and none have single combs. I got mine this year. I ordered the assortment and got 1 white, 1 red, and 2 blue

Blue/Black are extreamly small. That's my only complain
smile.png

The White is the best overall, then the Red and last the blue

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom