pLeaSe - preval sprayer propellant safe for inhalation?

hammytammy

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2014
Windsor NY
hi
looked everywhere!!
is the preval sprayer safe to use with oxine for inhalation? im wondering about the propellant mixed with oxine.
Shagbark bantams suggests this, but i need feedback or opinions. msds says propellant vapors are dangerous and harmful to inhale? want to use my sprayer and oxine on the wet pox birds mouth, throat and they'll inhale some too.
what do you think?
any one have input or experience?
my birds have wet pox and dry pox in the flock.
ive been treating for about a week or 10 days, dura 10, and home cures for wet(water droppers, listerine, chobani etc)
bought the oxine and preval and want to use it now.
thanks in advance!
tammy

I've used Oxine AH for some years now, and would not recommend spraying it in the bird's mouth. It is an anti-viral, fungal, and bacterial disinfectant, but won't get rid of wet pox. Are you sure it is wet pox? From what I've read, pox is something birds not showing symptoms need to be vaccinated for. With chicks, the Chick-N-Pox vaccine is used, and with birds 5 weeks to adult, the Fowl Pox vaccine is used. The one(s) showing symptoms need to be separated from the rest and treated with antibiotics/vitamin regiments in water to prevent secondary infections from occurring, and the pox should run it's course in 2-4 weeks. I see how this time of year can be especially bad in some areas where mosquitos are abundant, which spread the disease.

By propellant do you mean the activator for Oxine? If so then no, you do NOT want to spray that around your birds, much less in the throat. When using activated Oxine all animals/birds must be removed from the premises and you must wear mask/protective clothing when spraying. Non-activated Oxine is fine and is not harmful if inhaled however it won't do anything for wet pox.

By propellant do you mean the activator for Oxine? If so then no, you do NOT want to spray that around your birds, much less in the throat. When using activated Oxine all animals/birds must be removed from the premises and you must wear mask/protective clothing when spraying. Non-activated Oxine is fine and is not harmful if inhaled however it won't do anything for wet pox.

X2. Yup. Oxine AH can be misted over birds roosting if there are any respiratory problems, but only in the non-activated form without citric acid. I only activate it for my sprayers when disinfecting premises and waterers/feed troughs. I use 1 oz of Oxine per quart in a hand held sprayer and 3.25 oz per gallon in my large pump sprayer. I set aside 3.25 oz in a container and add 2tsp of citric acid to activate it. It is activated when it turns yellow and all the citric acid is broken down. Then add that solution to each gallon of water in a large pump sprayer. For the quart hand sprayer I do the same but with .5 tsp of citric acid in .75 oz of Oxine, then add it to a quart of water.

Last edited:
hey, thanks--cafarmgirl
no NOT activated!
barnie.gif

im just paranoid about the propellant used in the Preval sprayer recommended by shagbark bantams.
its not supposed to contaminate the dispensed product, but.........

thanks too, mike
DEF the pox, both types in my flock. spots are Tiny sill.
i only noticed after blubell showed up sick.
no-no mosquitos to speak of here.
i "think"it was brought in by "visitors"
who also have chickens or wild birds.

By propellant do you mean the activator for Oxine?

Quote:
Are you sure it is wet pox?
thank you
tammy

ive started oxine in the drinking water and am preparing to use it today
in the method and dosing you recommended for coop sanitizing.

maybe youve used a steam vaporizer as a a delivery method?

Back
Top Bottom