Please say she’ll live

What kind of trap? If it’s a squirrel size cage cut up the dead chicken. Fresh organs and stuff will work.
100% sure it’s a weasel and not a mink?
49EB359A-8D6B-4946-BF6F-D12FF5FCA680.jpeg

pictures of pen, coop or wherever they’re being kept would be helpful.
I dislike playing 78 questions to help people anymore. I figure if they want it they’ll ask and provide all the details from the beginning.

What kind of trap? If it’s a squirrel size cage cut up the dead chicken. Fresh organs and stuff will work.
100% sure it’s a weasel and not a mink?
View attachment 2537268
pictures of pen, coop or wherever they’re being kept would be helpful.
I dislike playing 78 questions to help people anymore. I figure if they want it they’ll ask and provide all the details from the beginning.
Thank you! I actually hadn’t even considered a mink or realized they were around here. :oops: but apparently they are and after showing my mom (the one who saw it) the pictures, she swears it was a mink and looked just like that, etc. but from my reading it seems like they’re usually near water? And we’re not really near the water, set back in the woods, but I don’t know how far they usually travel away from the water? Cause I mean, I think through our woods leads to a pond down the street and there’s water around just not immediate ?

Also I think the holes might be too small for a mink too.

Can weasels be all brown/blackish like that? Apparently it didn’t have the white.

And I thought I had posted some pictures of it but I must have put them elsewhere or forgotten. Initially I was just considered with helping the injured one but then once we saw it, I’ve been trying to trap it. It is a squirrel size trap. Just one of those hav a heart type ones. Initially we put chicken breast in it but I’ll try organs. Or I read they liked eggs.

I’ll try to find the pictures. But it’s just an old dog house inside a chain link pen but we put hardware cloth up the sides almost all the way and railroad ties around the outside but the back is against a hill and it dug in there, under the coop, and got in so I’ve been locking them in very night now and we will be adding a full skirt and revamping everything on both coops.

Thank you! I actually hadn’t even considered a mink or realized they were around here. :oops: but apparently they are and after showing my mom (the one who saw it) the pictures, she swears it was a mink and looked just like that, etc. but from my reading it seems like they’re usually near water? And we’re not really near the water, set back in the woods, but I don’t know how far they usually travel away from the water? Cause I mean, I think through our woods leads to a pond down the street and there’s water around just not immediate ?

Also I think the holes might be too small for a mink too.

Can weasels be all brown/blackish like that? Apparently it didn’t have the white.

And I thought I had posted some pictures of it but I must have put them elsewhere or forgotten. Initially I was just considered with helping the injured one but then once we saw it, I’ve been trying to trap it. It is a squirrel size trap. Just one of those hav a heart type ones. Initially we put chicken breast in it but I’ll try organs. Or I read they liked eggs.

I’ll try to find the pictures. But it’s just an old dog house inside a chain link pen but we put hardware cloth up the sides almost all the way and railroad ties around the outside but the back is against a hill and it dug in there, under the coop, and got in so I’ve been locking them in very night now and we will be adding a full skirt and revamping everything on both coops.
Mink are a lot bigger than a weasel but they can still fit through pretty small openings. Chain link fence would be no problem for a mink. Weasels in your area would be brown and white like the pic I posted and mink dark chocolate brown to almost black.
Right now is mink breeding season so they travel many miles looking for a mate. They wander pretty far on a daily basis but they usually aren’t far from water. They rarely go more than a few hundred yds from creeks, ponds etc but they will sometimes. Nothing is ever set in stone. Usually weasels will keep coming back night after night where mink may not.
Could be either but the trap you’re using should be able to catch both so it’s not too big of a deal. I don’t use cages for mink or weasels I normally use 110 bodygrip traps like this but I trap them around creeks. They would still work in and around coops and any gaps but you have to prevent any chickens from getting near them.
48D96C28-A6BD-4B39-BD19-CB178CD5A0D5.jpeg

Mink are a lot bigger than a weasel but they can still fit through pretty small openings. Chain link fence would be no problem for a mink. Weasels in your area would be brown and white like the pic I posted and mink dark chocolate brown to almost black.
Right now is mink breeding season so they travel many miles looking for a mate. They wander pretty far on a daily basis but they usually aren’t far from water. They rarely go more than a few hundred yds from creeks, ponds etc but they will sometimes. Nothing is ever set in stone. Usually weasels will keep coming back night after night where mink may not.
Could be either but the trap you’re using should be able to catch both so it’s not too big of a deal. I don’t use cages for mink or weasels I normally use 110 bodygrip traps like this but I trap them around creeks. They would still work in and around coops and any gaps but you have to prevent any chickens from getting near them.
View attachment 2537495
Thank you! This is helpful! The weird thing was it could have easily fit in the chainlink but instead dug under? It also tried to drag the bird under the coop. I think maybe it moved on under there? The whole thing is very weird! It was apparently definitely solid colored but I’m trying to get the trail cam working to be sure. And it definitely came back which seems more in line with weasel then? But my mom swears it was really dark so who knows.
You could put one of these right in the mouth of that hole, Dawg. Your chickens can't get back there anyway, can they?
I’m gonna have to try that kind! I don’t think they could fit back there but I’m not sure. I could put it right outside it too since I haven’t been letting them out lately.

Back
Top Bottom