Please show me close ups of your slanted roof

We used the foam strips under the roofing but as you can see we still have exposed eaves. We are trying to finish it all up this week but out plan is to just box in the eaves since I have ventilation throughout coop in other areas. I just finished the roost ladder today and got that in, at this point I'm so done building that I may just buy nesting boxes from TSC to put in there. I just want it done already!
1f600.png

Thanks, I found that today at Lowes, but I don't think it will work with the joists the way they are. I am going to try the insulation foam. I have used it before and it really does last for a long time and I filled in two really big holes. I appreciate the help.

I stood my 2x6's on their sides and spiked them down good to the top of my walls. I have a 10 inch overhang on front and back. Then added boards 2 feet apart then screwed my metal roofing to it. My eves are all open and covered well in hardware cloth to keep predators out.

This was the simplest explanation that actually made sense to me. LOL Thanks! Not sure why all of the other explanations didn't click...but this certainly did! haha

To answer the original question, my plans call for all walls of the same height, and then place diagonally cut rafters (cut a 2x8x8 on a diagonal lengthwise) to create the slant.

I didn't want to struggle with a diagonal cut, so I made my front wall 1' taller than my rear wall and laid 2x4s skinny side up. I'll place my roofing material across 4 purlins placed horizontally across those rafters.

Don't have a picture now, but I'm using The Garden Coop plans and the net is rife with pics of the finished project using their method. A previous respondent is using the wall-differential method and has included pictures of what i'm doing.
couple of things:
1" higher on one wall isn't giving you enough fall to get good run off when it rains. You don't say where you live, but if you get any snow at all, when it melts it's not going to run off fast enough.

How wide is your coop going to be? because 2x4's won't hold a lot of weight even standing on edge, you didn't say how far apart you spaced them, but closer is better. Although even better would be to go with 2x6's or 2x8's. There are plenty of online videos available to watch on how to build a shed.

If you have a metal roofing dealer close by, you can get your metal panels from them cheaper than you can from the big box store, and they'll cut to the length you need.

Also another thing, if you're getting your materials from a big box store, IE: Home Depot or Lowes, they'll cut plywood or lumber to your dimensions if you need them to. When I built my coop, (see my build here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/955919/future-coop-and-run)

I had them cut all my siding sheets to length for me, I only had to cut out the doors and windows, and a couple of rips long ways. I mostly just put them in place and nailed them up.

Back
Top Bottom