Please show me close ups of your slanted roof

Oceanseve

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Guthrie, OK
I am trying to wrap my head around how we will construct the slanted roof and hubby and I have different opinions of how to do it. So how did you do yours?

Last edited:
WOOT!

Just got a call from a contractor friend of mine that he has scrap metal roofing left over from a job that I can have for free. He turned me onto some "self-expanding foam" that works the way that the foam spacers do, just industrial grade to make sure all the cracks are covered.

My $300 roof just dropped to about $20. Yesssss.....

11219487_1652752368286780_7696100484623172063_o.jpg

Here is our galvanized steel run covered with clear corrugated polycarbonate roof. The roof is light weight, strong, and very easy to maintain, well worth the money. The slope of the roof is 1'V:4: H, with 12" of overhang front and back. On the far side is the asphalt shingle roof for the coop. It has a sky light (the recycle washing machine window), same roof slope to shed the snow and the rain.

The run's roof fits right under the coop's roof with no nailing to attach the two, so they can be separated if necessary.

I am in the same spot.  Chickens are 9 weeks old and need to get out of the basement.
We have the plans and have started the coop but finishing is right now not in sight. Panic is setting in!

Mine are 9 weeks today and still in the house. Coop will be done tomorrow, thank god! If all goes well.. haha Mine are gonna be sad when they go out to the coop cause they literally watch tv from their brooder. I was joking with my fiance that we are gonna have to install satellite out there for them. :)

Does anyone think it would be bad to try to use the 3ft ends I would cut off the 8ft panels overlapped to make another 5 foot length? As long as I made the overlap correctly as a shingle on the slope?

that way I could get away with just two of these panels instead of three.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntop-2...anel-108971/100022182?quantity=2&str_nbr=3822

I would! If we run into that same issue for the roof I would do it. I keep telling myself "it's a chicken coop" so if things aren't exactly perfect I'm not going to stress about it. I think as long as you have something to nail it into so it's not flapping around in the wind, you are good to go!

Hubby made the side walls with the correct slope.

He built the front and back walls such that the horizontal top beam had had the same slope as the side walls (by cutting the top end of the vertical 2x4 studs and mounting it on the angled cut). The walls were bolted to the foundation and each other and then the rafters were nailed in place. By building it this way, the rafters are flush with the top beams of all the walls and there are no open angles because the rafters sit at an angle on otherwise horizontal beams.

You can see the edge rafter on the top of the wall in this pic. The wall is painted white and the rafter isn't painted.

With the help of this thread, we built our run around our coop. Used sheet metal roofing is working perfectly to keep out the unwanted weather. Thanks for everyone's help in this thread. It definitely goes past just the original poster. :)

Slanted roof must start with two different wall heights, then you can set the rafters for the sheathing. Going into a lot of detail
would take a while so if you have more questions, ask away.

21297_coop_progress_002.jpg

21297_coop_progress_005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom