Please show me close ups of your slanted roof

it ended up using about 200 screws with the neoprene washers.  i cut everything so that the roofing overhangs the structure by an inch and a half and if you notice in the photo of the front, they make a contoured foam for the roofing and i used that to secure the gaps at the front and rear walls of the run to keep critters out and along the sidewalls i just put strips of the 1*2's between the pearlngs and it happend to land under a valley so it sealed itself basically.  the pearlings are every 24 inches on center and the roofing is screwed into them on every other rib.

Yes, the foam stuff is what I'm thinking of. that helps. My cross 2x2s are 27" on center, with a total area of 12x8' to cover.

A friend thinks some plywood down 1st would make installation easier - thoughts? I'm trying to post a pic to give you an idea.

Silly question: did you climb on top of throof to screw things in?

Here is our galvanized steel run covered with clear corrugated polycarbonate roof. The roof is light weight, strong, and very easy to maintain, well worth the money. The slope of the roof is 1'V:4: H, with 12" of overhang front and back. On the far side is the asphalt shingle roof for the coop. It has a sky light (the recycle washing machine window), same roof slope to shed the snow and the rain.

The run's roof fits right under the coop's roof with no nailing to attach the two, so they can be separated if necessary.

Yes, the foam stuff is what I'm thinking of. that helps. My cross 2x2s are 27" on center, with a total area of 12x8' to cover.

A friend thinks some plywood down 1st would make installation easier - thoughts? I'm trying to post a pic to give you an idea.

Silly question: did you climb on top of throof to screw things in?

your cross 2*2's on 27's will be fine, no need for the added expense of plywood. with the sheets being only 2' wide, i just laid one panel at a time and screwed it down so i could reach and worked my way across. and since you're using 2*2 where i used 1*2, you wont have to worry about grinding the points off the screws afterwards.. if it helps you any, i had to lay out the whole roof first just to get kind of an idea on how it would go, then took the panels back down and did them one by one.

I have questions!!! We are building this week actually and I need this roof! Is anyone on here that can help us? My chicks are getting too big to be in my garage now
smile.png
If NC wasn't so far away, I'd come over and help you :)
I had the same moment last week--if I didn't get the chickens out of the house THAT WEEKEND I was gonna go NUTS! We made a gable roof out of metal panels. What are you stuck on?

I am in the same spot. Chickens are 9 weeks old and need to get out of the basement.
We have the plans and have started the coop but finishing is right now not in sight. Panic is setting in!

9 weeks? OK, you must be nuts by now! It was just my boyfriend and I building. He's not handy. He was panicking, thinking it wouldn't get done in time. Funny thing is... All we needed to do was put up the siding, which was already cut, and put in the flooring, just 2 rip cuts. The end was much closer than he thought!

How far along are you?

oh, thanks for the info, thegreatwhite.
Because mine is 48 inches wide, I will need three panels if I want any overhang on the sides. Bummer bcuz it is so close where I could get by with one 12 foot cut in half. I should have thought out my design better to make use of the sizing they come in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom