Please some advice

I think I would sell them now if I could. Like everyone else has said, they don't make much in the meat department. But the main reason I would sell them is that it would cost more to feed them to full size than their meat would be worth to me.
Notice I said "to me".
And it won't be very likely that any of them are pullets.

Quote:
I like thinking like this, because this is now how I supply all of our chicken dinner needs - for free
big_smile.png
(I post on CL for unwanted roosters over 16 weeks old that I can pick up free, with the folks knowing I'll eat them).

15 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte:

54632_chickendinner.jpg

Is that what it will look like the leghorn rooster after all is said and done, to me that looks like a decent sized bird. Thank you everyone for all of the input this has become a giant discussion at our house and we've only had the chicks for a day

packing peanuts are almost without exception roos so nix on the idea of selling them as layers.
You can feed them whatever you are feeding your other chicks.
ALL birds can be butchered for meat, WL will have less, but a 1.5 lb bird makes a great pot of soup. Or you could just grow them longer & get a nice pot of Chicken and Dumplings out of them.
Give it a go, no matter what the size, they will taste far better than store bought and you got them for free.

For comparison, here's a bowl of banties. I think I had 8, and got a lot of good stock and about 1-2lbs of shredded chicken to use out of them. As far I see it, any chicken is good for the table.

54632_banty.jpg

If you want a picture of a leghorn on the butcher table I have a somewhat decent one.
Heres a pix of the hen before butcher day (about 22 weeks old. She should have been laying at that time but she didn't even have yokes developing when I cleaned her out). I still have the rooster, although, I'm afraid he may be headed to the table soon.
IMG_8610.jpg

Back
Top Bottom