PLEASE talk me out of this???

One thing that I did when my chickens were too big for the brooder but the coop wasn't finished was to keep them in small boxes at night and put them out in the unfinished coop during the day. (The walls and doors were up but the roof wasn't on, so I just draped tarps over the top so hawks wouldn't get them.)
It was a pain in the butt ferrying them back and forth but it made me feel better about them having enough space... and prevented them from pecking each other (which I had problems with before when chicks didn't have enough room. darn aggressive RIRs).
So you could try that, OR you could get a refrigerator box and just put them in that in the basement...

WildBurroShirts.com :

Quote:
O....K....you have it worse than me! I hadn't thought of the basement though...it's ugly down there but it is warm. Hmmm. So...they'll sort of stick together, right? Because they can't get out from under the house but they CAN get places I couldn't get my big butt to help them out of...there's all this insulated furnace stuff down there.

And the furnace guy said there are black widows the size of Buicks, too.

Keep in mind when housing chickens in the basement... it gets reallly dusty. I am constantly wiping dust off of things. I would keep them far away from any insulation, i imagine it has fiberglass particals or even the foam insulation they will eat. As far as the spiders go GULP!!! lol i don't know tho they may just gobble them up. If you decide to put them in your basement just go buy some cheap plywood and a few board for the corners and maybe some chicken wire and voila basement chicken enclosure that way they are contained to an area where you can easily reach them
big_smile.png
. I got some major slapped together projects around here all salvaged wood we had laying around with the exeption of a few sheets of plywood. It amazes me what i can come up with in a pinch and im certainly no bob vila​

azelgin,

nope. told him going in they grow quick and when I needed it.

Crap: while I've been on here the boxer puppy just demolished an ink pen.

On the new office carpet. Gotta figure out how to clean that now...

Quote:
O....K....you have it worse than me! I hadn't thought of the basement though...it's ugly down there but it is warm. Hmmm. So...they'll sort of stick together, right? Because they can't get out from under the house but they CAN get places I couldn't get my big butt to help them out of...there's all this insulated furnace stuff down there.

And the furnace guy said there are black widows the size of Buicks, too.

Keep in mind when housing chickens in the basement... it gets reallly dusty. I am constantly wiping dust off of things. I would keep them far away from any insulation, i imagine it has fiberglass particals or even the foam insulation they will eat. As far as the spiders go GULP!!! lol i don't know tho they may just gobble them up. If you decide to put them in your basement just go buy some cheap plywood and a few board for the corners and maybe some chicken wire and voila basement chicken enclosure that way they are contained to an area where you can easily reach them
big_smile.png
. I got some major slapped together projects around here all salvaged wood we had laying around with the exeption of a few sheets of plywood. It amazes me what i can come up with in a pinch and im certainly no bob vila

Thank you. As soon as I get the ink out of the new carpet I'm gonna try to do something.

Quote:
I like him and his wife. But...I'm furious about the door being wrong. As that means he's got to change it out and probably the place he carved the hinges in.

And he did the same thing with the window: put it in backwards.

I am FOR SURE going to tell him he has to fix the door on his own time as I'm not paying $60 an hour to have a crummy plywood door installed!

(I'm not THAT blond!
lol.png
)

Did you say to this guy when he started "Hey, there's no big rush on this thing"? I have been a carpenter for over 30 years and I hate it when people tell me that. So, i don't believe them any more and treat every job the same. If you drag it out as a spare time project, nobody's happy and you don't make anything on it.
At $30 bucks an hour cash, he can afford to step up and treat it like a real job, friends, or not. I do work for many neighbors and friends: Keeping it professional keeps them neighbors and friends. If I screw something up, it gets fixed on my own time. That's what being paid for doing something right is all about!

JMHO

My point exactly, now you have this guy on the hook, to do more jobs that may or may not go the same way, he seems to think he is in charge. When I make a mistake I fix it at no additional cost, I don't tell my customers oh and by the way if I make a mistake it will cost you more. I keep a solid customer base by giving a fair price, sticking to it, and I do the work get in & get done, thats why they keep coming back.
To be honest with you, I come behind alot of these type guy's they do help keep me in business with their attitudes and shoddy work.

AL

Looking at your situation again, I'd go with the appliance box in the basement solution. With 15 birds, that should get you by for another 2~3 weeks. You are gonna need some sort of lid to keep 'em from escaping. If they have the run of the basment, they WILL find trouble. Just like your puppy.

Try this for the ink stains on the carpet....
As soon as possible after the spill, get a cloth, such as a washrag. Wet a corner of the cloth with rubbing alcohol.
DAB the wet rag over the ink spot repeatedly, occasionally re-wetting the cloth with more alcohol.
Repeat this method until the stain is gone
Or you can try peroxide, if that can get blood out of white berber carpet it may just take care of that ink stain

Last edited:
WildBurroShirts.com :

He does have the roof on finally and I could block the popdoor...but he doesn't have the wiring/insulation/interior done and said if I let them in there now he won't be able to get the vinyl to stick to the plywood floor?

Um. Two words. Staple gun. Really truly
tongue.png

If the coop is habitable, I'd just go ahead and put the vinyl flooring in now myself, or if you don't want to do that then just leave it til later and figure on doing some stapling, and put the chickens in there. I sure wouldn't put a whole lotta chickens into a horse trailer I wanted to sell.

Good luck,

Pat​

Quote:
"...until the stain is gone..."???????
hmm.png

I'm not a young woman. How long is this supposed to take? Had a friend bring over the 91% alcohol which seems to be helping more than the 70% was but it's a neverending process: more keeps wicking up.

Want a free boxer puppy?

And just for 'fun' the other dog tore up a camera while we were in photographing the chickens...they're all in trouble today!

Back
Top Bottom