please tell me this isnt as bad as it looks...pics included

mom wewantchicks!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
buckhannon,wv
idk why my rooster has done this to my favorite hen but i am just sick over it.about 3 days ago i noticed she was missing alot of feather on the back of her neck and had some blood. i just washed her off and thought id keep and eye on it. well yesterday it was sooo rainy they stayed in the coop most of the day. this is what i found today. it looks like her poor head is about ripped off. she is acting ok,staying away from the rest of the flock,but eating and drinking. so im going to seperate her tonight,clena her up,give her antibotics in her water. is there anything else i should be doing for her. also it seems like the rooster just hates her, i see him with the rest of the girls and none of them look like this. but with her its like he is trying to kill her. should i seperate him for awhile, does he need more girls,we have 6. or is it just time to rehome him
004.jpg

this is a side view,lost feathers
003.jpg

there are actually 2 spots
002.jpg

it looks like a gapping hole
001.jpg

and just to compare,this is his favorite girl,a little bald but not at all torn up

Poor baby! Irrigate the wounds with a weak betadine solution. Consider stitches for that large, deep laceration. Do separate her from the rest so they don't continue the damage. Chickens have such a reserve for healing--she will do fine.

Are you sure the rooster did that??? Could there be some other predator around to do something like that??? Thats awful
sickbyc.gif
! If he did it, he would be in the pot.
somad.gif

Quote:
I agree. That's horrific. I cannot imagine it healing well on its own. I'm just glad it's not hotter so she doesn't end up getting maggots in there.
sad.png

it does look way more gross now that ive had a better look. had to run out,clean her up shut everyone else up and then go to soccer. she is resting in the dog kennel with food,water and some treats. here is what ive noticed with her and the rooster. he is the same age,but we got him later on. i have 2 ba, a br,2 golden commets and a mystery chicken. the ba,br and mystery girl are all the same size. they are bigger, not as big as the roo,and i rarely ever see him trying to mate with them. his favorite is the golden commet and i think its cause they are smaller.the hen in bad shape is one of the ba,i have seen her get in a knock down drag out,chase thru the yard fight with him. do you think he is maybe actually trying to hurt her,maybe she is the top of the pecking order and he is trying to show his dominace. i dont think anything could have gotten her,but she is my hen that is always trying to go under the fence,maybe he started it and she made it worse,liked got stuck on the fence. also the roo was an experiment,we like him,but the first thing i said when we got him was if he tore up my girls he was gone.

Poor Chick! hope she gets better soon

I have a roo that i'm trying to find a home for or his going for soup.

I have roo that is about 5 months old than him, and his a sweet heart, his nice to his girls.

now this other guy, his pulling out their feathers, and biting them hard on the neck, so every time i'm out at the coop, and i see him hurting the girls, i give him kick in the butt, not hard, just enough to make him run away.

Back
Top Bottom