Please tell me what I need!

I've never thought of using a heating pad instead of a light...can you tell me exactly how you use it and is it just a regular old heating pad that we use for back pain, etc? Do the chicks get it wet? Thank you in advance.

of
Best way is to search on here, on of the contributors has a great post running on how to get started. Yes my friend, just one of those regular heating pads w/ thermostat we use for our backs. I tried it a few years ago and it worked out amazingly.

Can find most of this information in the 'Raising Chicks' forum. Here is just one example I found for you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mama-heating-pad-brooder.1161350/#post-18253929

one word of advice, please don't make the same mistake I made and order a straight run. I was fortunate and got a down the middle 50/50 on the 10 I ordered. and expected a 20% loss ratio. Nope, they all lived and I had a 5 and 5 split, fortunately I was able to rehome 2 roos. But still have at least one more that requires getting gone!
:goodpost:

x2
I ordered sexed chicks and still got a cockerel and it was no fun trying to rehome him.

I've never thought of using a heating pad instead of a light...can you tell me exactly how you use it and is it just a regular old heating pad that we use for back pain, etc? Do the chicks get it wet? Thank you in advance.

of

@Blooie is the queen of MHP. She has an article and a thread in her signature. The pad must be adjustable to bypass the auto shut off feature, and have a metal frame for the pad to either drape over, or hang from. Most of us make the frame, attach the pad, then enclose frame AND pad in a pillow case of sorts so the chicks don't get tangled up in the frame. The babies crawl under the pad to warm up much the same as they would with their Mama Broody Hen.

of
There is a huge thread about it if you do a search. I went there for guidance to build mine. I opted for the cheap Sunbeam with three settings and no automatic shutoff but the majority of folks get the fancier model where you can select to override the auto off. Either way works.

You then firmly attach it to some sort of frame that allows an adjustable height and make sure you've eliminated any way for them to trap themselves.

I didn't have any moisture issues in the brooder because I use a nipple waterer rather than a fount but the pads are pretty amenable to damp conditions if a spill happens. The pad I have actually has details in the instructions for how to use it for "moist heat". But it's best for the chicks to keep the brooder as dry as possible.

@Blooie is the queen of MHP. She has an article and a thread in her signature. The pad must be adjustable to bypass the auto shut off feature, and have a metal frame for the pad to either drape over, or hang from. Most of us make the frame, attach the pad, then enclose frame AND pad in a pillow case of sorts so the chicks don't get tangled up in the frame. The babies crawl under the pad to warm up much the same as they would with their Mama Broody Hen.
I kept trying to @Blooie I just kept making the mistake thinking there was an I U combo in there. Thank you for your post.

There is a huge thread about it if you do a search. I went there for guidance to build mine. I opted for the cheap Sunbeam with three settings and no automatic shutoff but the majority of folks get the fancier model where you can select to override the auto off. Either way works.

You then firmly attach it to some sort of frame that allows an adjustable height and make sure you've eliminated any way for them to trap themselves.

I didn't have any moisture issues in the brooder because I use a nipple waterer rather than a fount but the pads are pretty amenable to damp conditions if a spill happens. The pad I have actually has details in the instructions for how to use it for "moist heat". But it's best for the chicks to keep the brooder as dry as possible.

Newborn chicks can use a water nipple ok? I wasn't sure if they needed to be bigger?

Newborn chicks can use a water nipple ok? I wasn't sure if they needed to be bigger?
The vertical nipples are chick-friendly. This video was taken when I first got these so they were only a couple days old and you can see they had no trouble at all figuring it out. You can also see the heating pad hen...

Back
Top Bottom