Please tell me what to do!

Carmie1

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2021
Hi I’m a new member. I’m having some issues with 3 of my chickens (white leghorns). So we bought these chicks May 8, 2021. So they’re about 13 weeks old. Put them in the coop with my 2 year old hens (3 barred rocks, and 1 ameracauna) a couple weeks ago…. Needless to say they were being bullied and pecked at, but I didn’t think it was that bad. During the last week two of them were just laying in their bellies and when I tried standing them up they seemed weak, also lot of their chest and belly feathers are missing. Third one seemed weak, but was still able to walk around some. Couple days later I pulled all 3 of them out of coop. They have irritated red skin on chest and won’t stand up. Have been pooping a lot. Very watery and green stools. They were eating/drinking fine, until today (hardly eating or drinking today)…. They’ve been just laying on their chest so much, their skin is starting to break down. Been washing their skin and applying antibiotic ointment. Also place them in a box with blankets under them. Hopefully that will prevent further skin breakdown. Now they don’t wanna eat…. Could they be in shock from being harassed for 2 long weeks? I’m not sure what to do anymore…..?! Please advise!!!!! Thank you!!!!

8A7FAC99-ED27-40F1-B618-D84329228E70.jpeg

Hi I’m a new member. I’m having some issues with 3 of my chickens (white leghorns). So we bought these chicks May 8, 2021. So they’re about 13 weeks old. Put them in the coop with my 2 year old hens (3 barred rocks, and 1 ameracauna) a couple weeks ago…. Needless to say they were being bullied and pecked at, but I didn’t think it was that bad. During the last week two of them were just laying in their bellies and when I tried standing them up they seemed weak, also lot of their chest and belly feathers are missing. Third one seemed weak, but was still able to walk around some. Couple days later I pulled all 3 of them out of coop. They have irritated red skin on chest and won’t stand up. Have been pooping a lot. Very watery and green stools. They were eating/drinking fine, until today (hardly eating or drinking today)…. They’ve been just laying on their chest so much, their skin is starting to break down. Been washing their skin and applying antibiotic ointment. Also place them in a box with blankets under them. Hopefully that will prevent further skin breakdown. Now they don’t wanna eat…. Could they be in shock from being harassed for 2 long weeks? I’m not sure what to do anymore…..?! Please advise!!!!! Thank you!!!!

I would put this over on the "Emergencies" Forum with some pictures of what you're seeing. Go to " Forums" above, scroll to the one with the red cross, the Emergencies/injuries thread - the better the pictures are, the better we can help you. Also make a good descriptive thread title like "13 week old pullets immobile and suffering feather loss"

Could they be irritated by mites (chiggers) or other bugs? I had bad mites lately (as well as many others in the area). My CX were bothered by them a lot but when I dipped them to treat it was a terrible shock and 2 almost died. My other chickens weren't bothered at all. Also a dust bath helps and new birds have not yet learned the pecking order or when to bathe.

Hello and welcome. Definitely need a seperate thread in the emergency because new member intro may not get the same attention.

They may need vitamins or a different type of feed and possibly an antibiotic for cocci treatment, but you cant diagnose a problem in a new member thread. They may need hand fed until the medicine can have an effect. Good luck I hope they get well soon.

Can you please post pictures of the birds? And pictures of the poop?
You've had the WLHs for 13 weeks but just put them with the older birds 2 weeks ago. Where were you keeping them prior to putting them with the older birds?
You may need to make slings for them to support them:
1627901055109.png

I would offer them water with electrolytes in it and chick starter for food. Give each bird about 1/4 tsp Poultry Nutri-drench or Rooster booster as well. Try offering them some scrambled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom