plucker for 1000 or so birds a year?

zacksimpson

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2015
Georgetown SC
I'm trying to decide on a plucked, and I think I want the yard bird. For about the same price, is there another plucker you guys would recommend? I'd like it to be somewhat mobile to make easier to move it to friends houses and around the farm.

I'm trying to decide on a plucked, and I think I want the yard bird. For about the same price, is there another plucker you guys would recommend? I'd like it to be somewhat mobile to make easier to move it to friends houses and around the farm.
How many birds do you plan on processing in a day?

The yardbird is great. I don't think you can wear that 1.5hp out even doing a 1000 birds in a year. I would order extra fingers. Maybe have an extra set of bearings for the feather plate also.

As far as being mobile, don't hold your breath on that one. The wheels are so small its a challenge to roll it on level concrete. In the ground you'll probably want to pick it up.

Check tractor supply. Mine was less there than on Amazon.

I'm thinking 100 birds a day, I did see the yard bird wheels are tiny. I just got a 10% off at tractor supply in the mail today so I may try my luck there.
I have friends who swear by he yard bird and they are working to your numbers. I need to do 300 birds per day, which pushes me to the featherman pro setup. I've been thrilled with it until I processed turkeys. Unfortunately, I can do only two turkeys and sometime only one in that setup. It just depends on the size of the turkey. I'm looking at doing 60 turkeys this fall, so it will be interesting. I'm already wishing I'd spent the extra bucks to get the bigger plucker.

I have friends who swear by he yard bird and they are working to your numbers. I need to do 300 birds per day, which pushes me to the featherman pro setup. I've been thrilled with it until I processed turkeys. Unfortunately, I can do only two turkeys and sometime only one in that setup. It just depends on the size of the turkey. I'm looking at doing 60 turkeys this fall, so it will be interesting. I'm already wishing I'd spent the extra bucks to get the bigger plucker.

What plucker did you get?

That's one I was considering.

I use the featherman pro, I have the whole setup. I need to get some small game bird cones for my cockerels and ducks, and if I do get into quail, I'll have to consider their game bird plucker.

They make them couple hours from my house.

Back
Top Bottom