Pluckers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by matthewschickens, Jan 9, 2010.

1. I am thinking about getting meat chickens and want to know what kind of plucker is the best and where to get it for not too expensive?

Thank you!!!

Matthew

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It's great that you're considering raising & processing your own meat birds. There's already a lot of great information & discussion here about benefits & disadvantages of different breeds & processing methods. And a lot of folks eager to help answer questions & encourage you along the way.

I would advise starting with just a small managable number to begin with, 25 or less, just so things don't get overwhelming right from the start. And I don't think that hand-plucking is really such a bad chore, especially if you have a few others to help and you aren't doing too many at one time. Here's a good link to information on getting a good scald, which is the key to easy hand plucking: http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-properly-scald-chicken-my-never.html

Certainly
    you should hand pluck a few chickens so that when/if you ever build a plucking machine you'll know how much effort you're saving yourself. There are easy & inexpensive models you can make that can be attatched to your electric drill, and other big tub types that can last a lifetime.

3. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I don't use a plucker, at least not yet. Not busy enough with it yet. But the Whizbang plucker you build yourself is the cheapest type of tub style plucker.

Featherman sells one for under $1,000 and is supposed to be high quality. http://www.featherman.net/

There
    are also table top pluckers for much less than any tupe of tub style plucker. [​IMG]

But this is the one I like best.

[​IMG]

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Hands down, a Whizbang. Get the book for $20, build the plucker for $300. It works great, and unless you're doing it commercially, it's all you'll ever need for as many birds as you've got to do.

5. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I'll do 25 - 30 birds twice a year. So for me, the choice for me was a table top picker. It spends more time packed away then in use. It's small, light weight and you can do a bird in less then a minute and a half. It has gotten to the point where I have to have more cones, I am waiting for the next bird to bleed out before I can continue to pluck. Mine doesn't have the stand as shown in Buster52 pictures. I set it up on a picnic table bench.
    Kaj

6. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Check out craigslist and local classified papers. I got mine for $150. Works great for large numbers of birds and I used the drill one on my turkeys since I only processed 2.
    If I am only doing one chicken for dinner I just hand pluck.

7. bwboot

bwboot New Egg

Jan 10, 2010
    Richland, WA
    dont know about mechanical pluckers, although the youtube videos of the whizbang chicken plucker are comical. I tryed my first chicken following the process found on http://butcherachicken.blogspot.com/ and found it to be extreemly informational and not too onurous a task.

8. heymikey

heymikey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    I just finished my Whizbang. The book is really well written and I had no problems at all. I'm somewhat mechanical but I really think anyone could build one easily. The only thing I had machined was the feather plate and the spindle. I could have made the feather plate easily enough but decided to let someone else do it. I had a machinist cut the circle but I drilled all the holes and countersunk them. The spindle I bought from Herrick Kimball (The author). I haven't added receipts but I think I had about $200-$225 in it. I already had a motor which is the most expensive part. I just plucked 2 RIR roo's in about 15 seconds....WOW.

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    For some people the financial cost of building a plucker is mitigated by the sheer enjoyment they get from building such a fine piece of equipment all by themselves. So if you're one of these folks who needs little excuse to make something like that then go ahead & build yourself a WhizBang!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by