Plucking feathers out

Gemma1981

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
Hi can anyone help, my hybrid chicken has plucked her feathers out to the point where is is bleeding. They have mite powder in the coop. Wormed last month and the only thing that has changed is one chicken from the 3 passed away. I really don’t know what to do. She is 2 years old and has also stopped laying.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 12
Those look like lice or mite damaged feathers. What powders are you using? You need to dust the birds too as well as the coop, lice live on the birds, mites live in the coop. Diatomaceous Earth does not work - just an fyi if you’re using it. You need something with permethrin in. She may be pulling the feathers as lice can be uncomfortable. Also, all the birds need treating.

Hi can anyone help, my hybrid chicken has plucked her feathers out to the point where is is bleeding. They have mite powder in the coop. Wormed last month and the only thing that has changed is one chicken from the 3 passed away. I really don’t know what to do. She is 2 years old and has also stopped laying.
Those look like lice or mite damaged feathers. What powders are you using? You need to dust the birds too as well as the coop, lice live on the birds, mites live in the coop. Diatomaceous Earth does not work - just an fyi if you’re using it. You need something with permethrin in. She may be pulling the feathers as lice can be uncomfortable. Also, all the birds need treating.
Please see photo below, can you suggest a good one to get. Feel so sorry for her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 10
You will need to get permethrin concentrate and follow the directions to mix it into a spray and treat your whole coop. Clean the coop out and spray into every nook and cranny. Let dry for 2 hours and repeat in a week for a few weeks. You need a poultry Dust with permethrin in it. DE will do absolutely nothing for you. Check for mites at night. Best of luck.

Please see photo below, can you suggest a good one to get. Feel so sorry for her.

Where are you located? I don’t know any American brands, sorry. If you’re in UK, Battles is a good dust for the coop and birds as it’s got permethrin in. Just Google, “permethrin for chickens” some dilutes and powders should come up that you may be able to buy in your country.

Where are you located? I don’t know any American brands, sorry. If you’re in UK, Battles is a good dust for the coop and birds as it’s got permethrin in. Just Google, “permethrin for chickens” some dilutes and powders should come up that you may be able to buy in your country.
Thanks I am in the uk. I will get ordering

Back
Top Bottom