Plucking machine???

JLS77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Buy or build the Wizz bang? What is best? How good do the factory machines hold up?

I got the yard bird chicken plucker when it was on sale through tractor supply. I believe it was $300. It has held up pretty well but the switch has since been redesigned because they get buggered… I had to reseal the switch on mine. I baught the whiz bang design to do myself but after adding up the cost of all the parts and the fact that what you end up with is not UL certified to be used in a wet environment, I opted to go with the yard bird because it is cheaper and UL listed. Electricity and water are a tricky combination and it’s a way I don’t want to die.

Last edited:
I bought a yardbird this spring and it was well worth the investment. I’ve put roughly 100 birds through it between mine and a friends. Highly recommend it if you end up going that route.

I have the yardbird plucker paid 150 for it because they thought the motor was burnt up and you had to start it by turning with hand. These motors have a starting capacitor on them inside the switch box that cost about 15 bucks and simple to replace. Threw a new one in it and I’ve been using it for 3 years now over 100 birds through it. It actually works better when you drop 2 birds in at once I’ve found.

If you are going to have a lot of bird, then yes. I bough 1 several years ago, but end up not using that much. I am only do 1-3 birds so doing by hand most of the time. The clean up on the plucker do take time.

Back
Top Bottom