Plymouth Barred Rocks!!!!!!!New pics!!!!

bald k9

Songster
10 Years
Sep 5, 2009
Rural Edwardsville
Hello ,does anybody know if barred rocks have different types of combs? the ones I got from MPC 25 rainbow layers 7 looked the same black with yellow dot on head and yellow butt and belly, ,but now they are growing up ,they have 2 different types of combs, some have like a single comb and some have like a flat wide one with one little point starting to stick up, any clues would be very helpful thanks again! sorry no pics but we still have dial up and it takes forever to upload pic....
idunno.gif

Last edited:
We have 9 BR. They all have "similar" combs, but they range from smaller combs to a big floppy one. In my opinion, they have as much variance as do some of the characteristics that people share. Yes, we all have "similar" parts, but there is a wide range of what they can end up looking like.

They "should" have a single comb that has 5-6 points on it and stands up. Why one of mine has a floppy one, I have no idea. I would wager that it is just a genetic varation.

Barred rocks and Dominiques should have a Yellow or Dusty Yellow Leg..
A Slate color leg? They could be a Barred pattern Easter Egger...

Chris

Barred Plymouth Rocks can and do have a slate/black front of their legs and toe tops as juvenilles. The remainder of the foot and leg should be a good yellow, older cockerals and roosters will have some slight red which is allowable.

The mixed combs suggest - as was said, that you got Doms and BRs. Or some moron hatchery is mixing them - thinking they're the same thing - it happens.

Hatchery birds do have some fairly odd combs often, but not so different that a BR should or could have a Dom comb. That would be the height of dumb breeding. Usually they're just odd Single Combs, wobbles, folds, flops, too many points - things like that. Sprigs now and then. Any other comb type - rose, walnut or horned or pea comb suggests mixing or substitution.

If you wanted BRS take pictures once the combs develop and ask for your money back. No one could possibly suggest a rose combed bird is a Barred Rock.

Back
Top Bottom