Plymouth Rock thread!

Quote:
My opinion is not a very educated one, but I will give it to you anyway.
hmm.png
Weather or not you breed them depends on your goals. If they are good layers and have nice attitudes and that is what you are looking for, by all means, breed them. If you are looking for a bird that is the type to show, yours seem to be closer to hatchery stock than they are to show type SOP birds. She looks to be a well cared for, healthy pullet, congradulations on a job well done! Look through past posts and you will see the difference in types. Everyone has to decide for themselves what type of bird they want to raise. ......stan

Thanks Stan. I appreciate all opinions. I'm new to chickens, but I breed collies so I'm familiar with conformation. I don't plan on showing but I do want to produce the best I can so I can sell my extras with a clear conscience. Any other opinions are welcome. I love my chickens.

Can someone help me with aging my BR cockerel? He is definitely UNDER 6 months old.

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0515-1.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

this is him 2 months ago. Not sure if the growth rate will help you determine it or not
tongue.png

I got him when the last picture was taken. I was told his hatchmate was POL - obviously not.

He has JUST started to crow and mount the girls. His crow is very pathetic
lol.png

My sloppy rule is when they first turn really red i'm the face and comb, etc., they are usually in the 18-22 week range.
Not always the case, but I'd you have no idea, that'd be a decent assumption.

Quote:
Is he 'really red' in the face?
lol.png

He has gotten redder, but he has had a very red comb from the time I got him on.

From my experience, my roosters got blood red on the face, quite vibrantly. He looks pretty red -- I wad just trying to help give a time table, if you knew when he went from the darker pink to bright red, add that would be right as he is hitting maturity more or less.

Back
Top Bottom