Plymouth Rock thread!

pretty babies, and love that blue!! I'll have to post my hatchlings sometime next week, maybe they will have some hackles coming in by then. BTW Scotts eggs are amazing 15 out of 18 hatched, shipped eggs, that's incredible!

I haven't done any weighing yet but I would almost bet that the cockerels average between 7 and 8 lbs right now. Pullet I would guess about 5 1/2 lbs. These cockerels are really nice sized. Bigger than the cockerel in the trio that I have that came from another lady that got eggs from Wynette a year before I got mine.
Gee, I hope you understand that. lol

I'm super excited to hear this - this is a testament that my hard culling that I did last year is working! WOOT! They look very nice, Jimmy - thanks so much for sharing pictures!

That male with the brown on his wing - anyone have any ideas on this? I've not seen this before in my line, however, I DO have one hen that is smutty; I have kept her, as she is the 2nd to my largest and has very good type. I wonder if that brown in this male is what would be "smutty" in a female? Any thoughts?

My two cockerals from you are also much much bigger than the first batch a few years ago. But they both have brown on their wings as well.

And interestingly enough, my biggest hen is also smutty. We named her Big Brown. :)

Last edited:
I'm super excited to hear this - this is a testament that my hard culling that I did last year is working! WOOT! They look very nice, Jimmy - thanks so much for sharing pictures!

That male with the brown on his wing - anyone have any ideas on this? I've not seen this before in my line, however, I DO have one hen that is smutty; I have kept her, as she is the 2nd to my largest and has very good type. I wonder if that brown in this male is what would be "smutty" in a female? Any thoughts?

I just hatched some sppr eggs from another breeder and most of the males have brown on their wings :(

I saw it on my own birds only once, but he ended up feathering out perfectly. Any experts on this???

My two cockerals from you are also much much bigger than the first batch a few years ago. But they both have brown on their wings as well.

And interestingly enough, my biggest hen is also smutty. We named her Big Brown. :)

Well, this totally rots. I swear, I take one step forward and two back. Grrrr! Thanks for letting me know...guess I have even MORE work to do. Sigh....

Sorry I'm just too excited for words...
wee.gif
With a recommendation from Bob Blosl I got in touch with Danny Padgett and after almost 8 months of correspondence, he shipped a Silver Pencil Trio to me yesterday. I will be working these in with my Hortsman girls.

I can't wait to see them and weigh them. If anyone is interested I'll post pictures.

Well, this totally rots. I swear, I take one step forward and two back. Grrrr! Thanks for letting me know...guess I have even MORE work to do. Sigh....

I have 4 male and 3 female total. The pullets/hens are all without any smutt on them but two of the males have it on their wings. One a little more then the other. Maybe we will have to get out the Miss Clairol. ha,ha Mine are all still to young for laying so I haven't had the chance to hatch any eggs but going by the other posts, it is something that will be passed on sooner or later. Oh well, I guess we just have smutt for Sunday dinner. I love chicken stuffed shells and it's always been good no matter what color feathers were on the bird before cooking. lol

I have 4 male and 3 female total. The pullets/hens are all without any smutt on them but two of the males have it on their wings. One a little more then the other. Maybe we will have to get out the Miss Clairol. ha,ha Mine are all still to young for laying so I haven't had the chance to hatch any eggs but going by the other posts, it is something that will be passed on sooner or later. Oh well, I guess we just have smutt for Sunday dinner. I love chicken stuffed shells and it's always been good no matter what color feathers were on the bird before cooking. lol

This is really good information to have, thanks so much! I think I'll pull that smutty hen of mine out of the breed pen and see what hatches from my other gals. I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet, especially when I see a glimmer of hope that the changes I made in the pen to help increase size are showing results! These days, any little thing in some of my pens, I am counting as a "win"!

They are gorgeous birds. I had no idea chickens had some many different genes until I started playing around with the chicken calculator. LOL After doing that be thankful you didn't take 10 steps back. omgoodness. Recessives can hide very easily as we're finding out.

Anyway, this is a barred rock that hatched recently. I don't know much about barred rock color pattern but he's kinda cute. We named him Jailhouse Rock because he's behind bars. LOL

Back
Top Bottom