Plymouth Rock thread!

I am working on a project and need a single comb, yellow legged, lack of dermal melanin, brown eggs, black in color breed or variety of bird. I need it to introduce extended black into my project breed without crossing too many bad traits into it. I was informed the breeds that would work best would be Jersey Giant or Black Plymouth Rocks. I did not want to deal with the size issues that may come into play with the Jersey Giants. That being said it seems to be a hard task to find Black Rocks. Anyone have Black Rocks or another suggestion that I can cross with?

The cockerel is out of Erik Nelson's (Maine) stock. Not certain what line - I believe he has been breeding from more than one line.

Lucky123, he is a nice cockere! I was pretty sure I was taking him to the Northeast Poultry Congress, but he hasn't gotten around to growing much of a tail. He'll get a local spring show in as a cockerel, then he'll be in the big boys' class.

Erik asked about him just today, and as I was describing the easy going nature of the cockerel, he said he had a hunch which one of his cock's had sired him. I'll ask him more about the lineage next time I see him.

If you're interested in hatching eggs, let me know. I have pullets from Erik's lines, as well...nice ones.

I finally got a few pictures today of my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks. These were hatched 7/19/2011 so they just turned 6 months a few days ago. I have a trio that is a couple of months older but these came from eggs that I got from Wynette and only 1 pullet and 3 cockerals hatched. These are getting really nice. My trio is also Wynette lines. Oh, the cockeral in the second picture does not have a crooked leg, it's just that he was turning when I took the picture. lol

Last edited:
Beautiful flock, wynette's stock is gorgeous - any idea of weights on your flock?

I haven't done any weighing yet but I would almost bet that the cockerels average between 7 and 8 lbs right now. Pullet I would guess about 5 1/2 lbs. These cockerels are really nice sized. Bigger than the cockerel in the trio that I have that came from another lady that got eggs from Wynette a year before I got mine.
Gee, I hope you understand that. lol

These are my new colombian chicks. I'm going to attempt to increase the size of my silver penciled rocks with these. But by looking at the chicken calculator i'm not sure how many generations it will take to get back to a clear sp pattern. It looks like if I breed a Colombian to a Sppr, all of the resulting offspring will be colombian. Anyone good with genetics that can help me out?

And for fun: This oddball pullet hatched. Looks to be a Blue Colombian plymouth rock. :) So I'll have some fun with this one.
wee.gif
I think this is easier than the project above though. BlueColumbian to Black Columbian will produce 50/50 blue or black colombians.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom