Plymouth Rock thread!

Pics
Quote:
Thank you, they are turning out so nice. I found it interesting that the cockerel is feathering out just slightly slower than the pullets, hmmm.
hmm.png
They all have really good rich color and nice bright yellow legs. If you know anyone looking for some please send them my way, these guys are for sale.
smile.png

Love, love, love my Barred Rock! This is my first foray into chickens and have 5 chicks which includes 1 Barred Rock. They will be 7 weeks old in a couple of days. Beatrice, our Rock, is the sweetest
love.gif
and most curious of them all. She is from a hatchery so she is probably utility and not a quality show bird but that's what we wanted. She makes me want a flock of them!
39619_day_1_in_coop--hyacinths_wattles.jpg

chickerdoodle

I couldn't agree more. Our BRs are fast becoming my favorites. Their personality is just so much better than the our other breeds. They're always the first there to check out what I have for them. They're the most fearless, in-your-business chickens in our pen. I started out wanting to breed Welsummers, but after a couple of months I am so sticking with the Rocks.

To the Rock experts...
How do the other varieties compare, in general, to the Barred? In terms of personality and laying. I really do like Partridge-patterned birds, but the BR's personality has won me over thus far.

47715_mo-pinky.jpg

Last edited:
Mervin, I can't say I feel that my silver pencileds are super friendly; they're not standoffish, but not lap chickens by far. Then again, I haven't spent much time with them, either. I 100% feel that almost any chickens that you spend lots of time with as they are growing up will tend to be super friends adults, but that's JMO. I got them because their pattern is different from a lot of what you see out there, and I just think they're pretty! I don't think they lay as well as the barred do, though, and IMO, you really can't touch the beauty of an excellent quality BR rooster, either.

Quote:
Mervin

I have barred, blue, black, splash and columbian rocks (all LF), and previously had partridge. They are ALL great layers! My Columbians have yet to start laying so I'll withhold comment on them for now.

As for personality; every one of mine is unique. All are VERY curious, some like attention, some don't. My splash is simply a "lap chicken"...she wants to be carried and loved on all the time. I have 2 blacks that could care less if I'm around. Guess it all depends

Wynette and Yard full 'o rocks

Thanks for the info. Mine certainly are not lap chickens. They just seem more adventurous/brazen and I like that. They just seem to have a different "joie de vivre," if you will.

Back
Top Bottom