Plymouth Rock thread!

Pics
Hey, Scott - is it just my perception, or are your Columbians from the SQ breeder showing much more color than your others? I actually like the others' coloring better, personally, but I don't know what they look for in showing for the Columbians. Interesting - you have beautiful birds!

Quote:
Wynette

The "more grown" girls are from a guy in East Ga that I just "happened upon". His birds were from one of the hatcheries (one of those packing peanuts surprises). They are a bit far from the APA Std, especially the roos that I hatched. Most of the roos had "female tails" and were WAY too leggy. The girls don't have bad color, but size wise they are lacking and one of them has some "brown" leaking thru on her hackle feathers...but overall, not too bad. 2 of them also have hackle color all the way to the top of their heads....it should end abruptly just before the earlobes.

The younger birds ARE showing more color. It is the "slate" undercolor you are seeing that they are "supposed" to have. The other girls seem to be carrying a white or off white undercolor. They also seem to be carrying a slow feathering gene (like a lot of show quality birds) which should lead to better overall feather quality. I am going to keep the best 2 roos from that bunch and all the pullets (if they don't just 'scream" some major DQ) for breeding purposes. Will be breeding the best 2 roos back to these pullets and also to some SQ white rocks that are in my brooder pen right now. The white rocks should place the proper type (and size) into the Columbians.

Hope that makes some sense.....hope to begin breeding again in the Fall.

Talk to you soon

Scott

Scott, sounds like you have a really good plan - I bet the offspring will be spot on, as it sounds like you don't have a ton to do with them - they look quite nice already, IMO!

Thanks Wynette

These have been on my "wish list" for nearly 2 yrs and were SOOOOO hard to find. After playing around with several breeds I believe I'm sticking with the rocks and the delawares. They just seem to have the best dispositions

I am also working on improving my blue rocks. Can't wait to see a Blue Rock as big and fluffy (well, almost) as some of the great looking Orps BYC'ers have

:loveThe Columbian pattern in any fowl has always been my very favorite. So pretty! They just look regal to me!

Morning all....

I got a few pix when I moved the Columbian Rocks to "The Columbian Cartel" (aka the big coop)

Here are a few new pix of the group that is 10-12 weeks old. The one roo sitting on the RIGHT side looks to be developing excellent color and type

25882_cimg1679.jpg

25882_cimg1678.jpg

Here is a shot of my better looking 16 week old pullet

25882_cimg1680.jpg

Everyone have a GREAT hump day!!

Scott

Back
Top Bottom