Plymouth Rock thread!

Pics
This is an updated picture of my 11 week old Barred Rock pullet Joon. I love this breed, both bred and hatchery, you can't go wrong with Ply. Rocks! I would love to get into breeding/showing this breed once I am able to house a roo (or three!) This breed has totally won me over!

They are such camera hogs!
Kalie075.jpg

Kalie055.jpg

Kalie019.jpg

Kalie018.jpg

Kalie012.jpg

Kalie061.jpg

We had our 2nd annual Michigan Chickenstock this past Saturday, and I picked up a 12-week old pullet - she's by a Buff Orp roo over a BR hen, the lady bred them with the hopes to get a large size (orp) but not as broody as an orp, with excellent laying ability, like her BRs. I'm pretty excited to see how this girl matures out & how she lays! She's really pretty - black with an orange chest, and I believe some orange in her wings, too. She's very different looking & pretty, which is also what I was after. It will be interesting to see how she lays, and whether or not she goes broody! I've had my share of THAT this year, and it's about to drive me bonkers!

Hi all Have a question about barred rocks??

I have 63 of the little darlings the hatchery would only guarantee 80% on sexing them so I decided to go with unsexed and saved myself about 1.00 per bird. I'm going to need some meat this fall!

They are about 3 weeks old now and my question is this, some of the chicks are very dark almost black and others are larger and more grey. Would it be safe to say the dark ones are girls and the light ones boys??

Most of the light ones are 1.5 to 2x larger than the dark ones!

thanks in advance,
Blessings,
Jeremy

That's what gets me about the bird I posted above.
The comb jumped up fairly early, but didn't really start to get more red until recently.
Initially, we thought it was a cockerel for sure, but look at the darker color. It sits down and fluffs out more than it acts like the other males I have in the coop too.

Is that just wishful thinking though?

Last edited:
With barred rocks, the dark ones are hens, the light ones are roos. You can pick them out really early, sometimes within the first couple of weeks. The head spots and coloring on the legs can often confirm it -- girls generally have more defined white spots on their heads, and black shading down the front of their legs.

Jx2inNC, you have a roo.

on Partridge Rocks do the females have the shading on the legs too? I've noticed that the females have it and the males are a clear yellow? So maybe another way to help sex them? I have the hardest time until they are a month old or so. Is this shading a "Rock" thing?

Back
Top Bottom