Plymouth Rock thread!

Thanks :) Cockerel #1 has good leg spacing, but I did not load the pictures before work - so I can't share. I like the wing and tail going on on boy #1 for his age (he is 2 or 3 weeks younger than the second one).

Here is the leg spacing on my cockerel of choice, who is always MIA during picture sessions :p
Just my opinion, so please dont take it critically......also look very closely at the heads. I like a nice wide head, also very full top to bottom (watch the spacing from center of the eye to both the top and bottom of the skull).

Just my opinion, so please dont take it critically......also look very closely at the heads. I like a nice wide head, also very full top to bottom (watch the spacing from center of the eye to both the top and bottom of the skull).
I will give their heads more time. They all seem the same size in that head department.

I also don't think it's the most flattering angle. I need someone to hold them in place or something.. They are always darting this way and that!

Here is that cockerel I posted just a few minutes ago when he was a bit younger. He has a good head, and spaced legs.

Picture refresher :p

This pullet has a nice head on her yes?

'
How about this pencilled boy for head size? Going to need to upload the recent pictures for the SPPR. I find some of the girls (only have 5) have smallish heads except the one I posted above and maybe one more.

Last edited:
Today is day 8 into my backup Horstman line SPPR pullet hatching eggs. Out of the 17 eggs I put into the incubator 15 are showing blood vein growth. :)
So as of now I have
4 Horstman line SPPR pullets at little over 6 months old.
7 Padgett line SPPR pullet chicks at 5 weeks old.
If I have a successful hatch & with a little luck in a couple weeks I will have a few more Horstman line SPPR day old pullet chicks as well. :)

Good morning!!

I really like the leg spacing and the head size on the second K you are watching. Had to tell much more due to the pix, but from what I see he would be my pick. NICE color too.
X 2...he may develop into a real 'dandy'
wink.png

silver....if I remember in my readings.....old timers thought birds they grew out this time of year tended to be BIGGER AND HEALTHIER. ....I feel sure I have read that from seveal people. someone correct me if I am wrong.

silver....if I remember in my readings.....old timers thought birds they grew out this time of year tended to be BIGGER AND HEALTHIER. ....I feel sure I have read that from seveal people. someone correct me if I am wrong.

You're right. The theory being chicks grow out in colder weather eat more, develop faster and grow bigger compared to chicks grown out in the heat of summer. I can anecdotally confirm this and that's why many large fowl breeders try to have chicks on the ground between Christmas and New Years.

You're right. The theory being chicks grow out in colder weather eat more, develop faster and grow bigger compared to chicks grown out in the heat of summer. I can anecdotally confirm this and that's why many large fowl breeders try to have chicks on the ground between Christmas and New Years.
I've been told that it was due to their slow growth in the off season that ended up helping increase size. Cold weather = slow growth, and that slow growth during the short days is what ultimately helps them increase in overall size when finished. BUT - either way, I'm all for January hatching.

Aoxa, girl, you need to make yourself a light box. DH made me one awhile back, and I love that thing; it's collapsible for to save space. You can get them nice & posed in there! I did a thread on it here...I'll find in a few & edit my post here for reference.

Here's the link to my light box thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/727872/show-me-your-light-boxes-all-types/10

DH ended up making me one, which I took pics of during the building of it. They are at the very end of the thread. I use this thing constantly.

Last edited:

I have always try to have my chicks hatched out around the first of March so I could start growing them out on the early Tennessee green spring grass and bugs. But if chicks hatched out in December & January produces larger birds I will change my hatching dates and start hatching out much early than I have in the past. :) One thing I feel I must do is hold off on hatching anything next spring. If I wait until next December to start hatching all the pullets & pullet chicks that I have this year will be hens laying much larger eggs. :)

Last edited:
I have always try to have my chicks hatched out around the first of March so I could start growing them out on the early Tennessee green spring grass and bugs. But if chicks hatched out in December & January produces larger birds I will change my hatching dates and start hatching out much early than I have in the past.
smile.png
One thing I feel I must do is hold off on hatching anything next spring. If I wait until next December to start hatching all the pullets & pullet chicks that I have this year will be hens laying much larger eggs.
smile.png
Most folks don't hatch pullet eggs at all, SR, but sometimes you do not have much choice. I would definitely think that chicks raised during the times when the spring grasses are just beginning to green up would be the healthiest bunch around...that does make sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom