Plymouth Rock thread!

Rex is 13 weeks old and soon will be going into the main flock with lots of older women in addition to the pullets his own age. He's still a good tempered youngster and hopefully, will stay that way.

DSCN2651.jpg

Quote:
Wynette, wouldn't it make more sense to cross to a solid colored bird? Say a good sized Black Rock from a Blue Rock X Blue Rock breeding? That way you don't introduce barring and it would take fewer generations to get back to the Silver pattern.

Ameraucana breeders cross their Silver and Black lines to improve size/type. Granted the Silver color in Ameraucanas is Silver Duckwing and in Rocks it's Silver Pencilled, but it's the same idea.

Just my uneducated guess?
hu.gif

im new to chickens and chicks but im hoping to hatch some barred plymouth rock due today so fingars crossed

Here is a link to some of the BRs and CRs I have growing out (lots of pix!!). All BRs for this year are in this album, but only 6 of the young CRs were in the clover field last night. I have another 50+/- of them that were in the fenced pen. The BRs in this are from Reece (Good Shepard) line and Hardy lines

Just click on the first pix and the program will then allow you to view it as an album

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=76b0b01228a61131#cid=76B0B01228A61131&id=76B0B01228A61131!317

Last edited:
Quote:
ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!

My Blue Rocks from Halo hatched Easter so going on 12 weeks old now. I am also loving these birds. They are quickly becoming my favorites....... just something special about them!!

Yard full o' rocks :

Here is a link to some of the BRs and CRs I have growing out (lots of pix!!). All BRs for this year are in this album, but only 6 of the young CRs were in the clover field last night. I have another 50+/- of them that were in the fenced pen. The BRs in this are from Reece (Good Shepard) line and Hardy lines

Just click on the first pix and the program will then allow you to view it as an album

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=76b0b01228a61131#cid=76B0B01228A61131&id=76B0B01228A61131!317

WOW. Some of those BRs have super awesome barring! I'm Jonesing over the yellow legs your stock has, too!

Columbians are really looking nice as well - I see some nice underlines, there!
thumbsup.gif
Thanks for sharing pics!​

Quote:
Wynette, wouldn't it make more sense to cross to a solid colored bird? Say a good sized Black Rock from a Blue Rock X Blue Rock breeding? That way you don't introduce barring and it would take fewer generations to get back to the Silver pattern.

Ameraucana breeders cross their Silver and Black lines to improve size/type. Granted the Silver color in Ameraucanas is Silver Duckwing and in Rocks it's Silver Pencilled, but it's the same idea.

Just my uneducated guess?
hu.gif

Jeremy, I'm completely usure! I believe the pattern loci would be located closely on the gene, and would assume that to mean that one would have to be dominant...I am by NO means a genetics expert - am just learning little by little.

Yard full o' rocks :

Looking GREAT scott -those barreds barring are just great! Congrats! Hopefullythey continue to grow out well for ya​

Back
Top Bottom