Plymouth Rock thread!

My Roxie is the most suspcicious and least friendly of my hens. I don't believe she is the most dominant though:

88997_chickenbutt.jpg

88997_buffynfriends.jpg

88997_buffyroxie.jpg

Quote:
Thanks Kathy....a few Reece birds in there from Jeremy and a few Hardy line birds also. I have 3 "Shafer chicks" in the little kids pen that are growing very fast. Hoping to have a decent flock of about 10-12 to start working with.

Yard full o' rocks :

Quote:
Thanks Kathy....a few Reece birds in there from Jeremy and a few Hardy line birds also. I have 3 "Shafer chicks" in the little kids pen that are growing very fast. Hoping to have a decent flock of about 10-12 to start working with.

I hope it all works out for ya! Tell me, do you notice a difference in the different lines? For instance, is one strain better at foraging than others? Does one strain have crisper barring, etc? Can you tell by first glance which strain you are looking at?​

Right now, believe it or not, the Hardy line birds are LARGER than the Reece birds and all were born the same exact day

I only have 1 cockerel in that line and he is crisply barred, but colored more like a pullet in that he is DARK. He is very broad backed but its not all that long. Reece birds look very much like yours. Cockerels are lighter in color with very fine barring. Definitely better leg color in the Reece birds. I'm gonna keep a few of each. Breed Hardy to Hardy, Reece to Reece and then some crossed. We'll see how well they "mix"....

That may well be my Fall hatching project since I have 60+ of the CRs already on the ground.

Something about a good looking BR....as long as I have chickens, there WILL be a pen of them around

Are SPPR Bantams rare? My friend was wondering as she has a breeding flock of five (2 roos, 3 hens)... She's won Grand Champion Junior at many shows and they are of excellent quality we believe
smile.png
Could you judge them based on some pictures?

Quote:
I dont think the SPPR bantams are as rare as the LF version. However, you don't see too many other than breeders on the show curcuits.

I have found some of the licensed APA judges here on BYC to be VERY VERY helpful and willing when asked (privately) to help look at birds. Might try getting some pictures and then ask a few of them to give you their honest opinions. I have to applaud them all as they seem to want to keep critiques of other peoples birds out of "public forums" and done in private.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom