Plymouth Rock thread!

I have to say the whites i saw at the ohio nationals this weekend were enormous - wow were they big - beautiful typey birds - but were bigger than the Australops and giants nearby

Quote:
Those Whites sure do look huge. Wouldn't want them here, even if they win a lot, I want mine to produce. It says right in their SOP, "overlarge specimens are not to be desired." IMO, those birds should not win. Keep them close to that standard weight, don't worry about the others, just the Silver's, that's my advice.

Speckled hen, they don't weigh birds at shows, but I think if they did, then there would be a good amount of DQ's. . .
Mitch

Over or under weight would not be a DQ, but it would result in points taken off - I don't have my SOP here, but I believe it's a number of points per pound over or under, with the first pound being not faulted, if I recall correctly.

Something like that, I was mistaken. Still, I would love to weigh one of those White Rocks and see how big they really are.

Quote:
th.gif

Quote:
Over or under weight would not be a DQ, but it would result in points taken off - I don't have my SOP here, but I believe it's a number of points per pound over or under, with the first pound being not faulted, if I recall correctly.

Something like that, I was mistaken. Still, I would love to weigh one of those White Rocks and see how big they really are.

Ditto! If they're truly rivaling the size of the Jersey Giants, you're looking at 13-15# cock birds!
ep.gif
Maybe we should call them Plymouth Giants?
gig.gif

Quote:
Thats exactly why I dont show. Birds are winning that are not to Standard, and I prefer birds as close to the Standard as possible. Until the standard is changed, I dont want birds that dont conform to the standard.

Winning is not the most important thing, believe it or not.

Its basiclly 2 points for each pound under or over after the first pound. Differs on each Class, but that is the jest of it.

Had to brag on Walt at the APA meeting at Crossroads. Told them he was the resident APA authority on BYC. Others are here, but Walt seems to be able to answer questions, disagree with others and do it with a smile! Then he comes back for more punishment. He is a nice fellow in person too. Even if we did not have much time to talk at Crossroads.

Quote:
Thats exactly why I dont show. Birds are winning that are not to Standard, and I prefer birds as close to the Standard as possible. Until the standard is changed, I dont want birds that dont conform to the standard.

If a bird is over or under weight per the SOP, that does not mean they are not to standard. It simply means they are over or under weight. It is a fault, not a DQ. If you interpreted every item in each standard to the letter, and walked down each row at a show, you would find that most of them, if not ALL of them, have some sort of fault. It does not mean they are not to standard, though.

Yard full o' rocks :

I must agree that the White Rocks that I HAVE SEEN at shows are much too large compared to the standard. HOWEVER, that also seems to be what draws the judges to them for some reason

I would LOVE to get some hatching eggs(or pullets) from Terry to cross onto my Columbian Rocks to improve the type (especially on my males, as they dont have enough chest)

Jim - do you have a way to get in touch with him? I've tried emailing and have gotten no response

It's nothing but a "backyard hobby" and "adult science experiment" for me.....I love to see what gains I make each year and enjoy a glass of wine and watching them run around in the clover field

If they are close to SOP....thats good too

CYN - I'm with ya on the BR boys....nothing like a stunningly good looking BR rooster!!!

Terry's contact info and phone munber is loacted at http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA%20Judges%20Alphabetical%20by%20License_Oct2010.pdf

Just
call him after 3:30 as he will be taeching his VO-AG class till about then. He should have a few cockerels available at Shawnee.​

Quote:
Ditto that. Walt is generous with his time, and the fact that he's willing to help the folks on BYC who wish to breed to standard & show their stock is priceless.

Quote:

If a bird is over or under weight per the SOP, that does not mean they are not to standard. It simply means they are over or under weight. It is a fault, not a DQ. If you interpreted every item in each standard to the letter, and walked down each row at a show, you would find that most of them, if not ALL of them, have some sort of fault. It does not mean they are not to standard, though.

Wynette, I agree 100% with you. The issue I have with weight, is that they seem to be breeding them bigger and bigger. I dont see any effort to get close to the standard.

You are right, they all have faults. I feel we should be breeding to get them as close to possible as what was originally determined they should be, not go off in a different direction, which I think is happening with size.

Back
Top Bottom