plz help, found abandoned wild baby mice! **PICS**

also check small rodent rescues online I used to have 15 rats, however do not like mice. I am sure that there is a forum on rodents so google it and see what happens. Good luck and be careful what you feed rodents there are lots of toxic foods that you would not think of like orange juice, almonds, grapes to name a few are toxic to rats so check into it and good luck

this is the weaker, smaller one. he keeps his eyes half closed. he's also more friendly and willing to be handled.
52086_dscn5991.jpg

this one is more active, but wilder, he was hopping like a little cricket when i went out to check on them.
52086_dscn5992.jpg

same mouse
52086_dscn5996.jpg

both of them curled up together.
52086_dscn5998.jpg

52086_dscn5999.jpg

i think they are around three weeks, am i right?

I breed dumbo rats & am not sure how similar mice are in growth but I would say 2 1/2 weeks cuz they still look sorta "clingy". Id give them regular mouse food & maybe some plain soymilk. I give that to all my nursing does & litters because it helps the moms lactate & is a good milk replacer for when the kids are suckin mom dry. I would also stimulate their bowels just to be safe. Hope this helps. BTW Awww
love.gif

Last edited:
they look to be between 2 1/2-3 weeks, and look a bit on the dehydrated side, or at the least, underweight.

with hoppers, i'd give them oatmeal soaked in KMR (kitten milk replacer).

what type of mouse food do you use for your pet mouse? is it a pelleted food, or is it a seed mixture? if its a pelleted food, try soaking some of it in warm water. it should soften and be easy for them to eat.

when i kept mice, i normally fed them a mixture of dried pasta, oatmeal, dried fruit, cheerios, total, and high quality dog food. adults would get fresh fruits and veggies daily, as well, but you have to be careful when they're that young. the dried mixture got scattered throughout the cage, not served in a bowl. this gave them some of the stimulation they needed, essentially searching for their food.

now, i know nobody else has mentioned it, so i will. wild mice can carry all sorts of nasty diseases. i would never try keeping them because its not worth it to me to get sick. at the very least, i would not handle them with bare hands, or really at all. if i found baby wild mice and wanted to take care of them, i would keep my contact with them minimal- just provide fresh food and water, then release them back outside at 4 weeks.

even if you decide to keep them as pets, and work with them regularly, you will likely always have a pair of jumpy, wild mice. it takes several generations to domesticate them. they will also likely chew like crazy, so you'll need to be extra careful to provide them with safe things to chew on, and make sure their water bottle and the cage itself is chew proof.

good luck!

thank you for all of the great advice! i try not to handle them very often, i would prefer to release them to the wild, keeping them as pets is a last resort. yes, they are very dehydrated, i try to get them to drink, but that involves handleing them which i'm trying not to do much of... it's a vicious cycle! my mouse feed is a mixture of large and small pellets, some seeds, and corn kernals. the brand is carefresh complete mouse and rat feed. i've been adding water to it to encourage them to drink. i am also currently offering them oats/oatmeal and some kind of friut/veggie every day, today they got some frozen peas, yesterday a tomato, the day before a small peice of banana... i add water to every thing. i'm also offering salt... is this okay? i figure if they ate some salt they'd be thirstier and drink more. they also seem to be eliminating on thier own all right. i'm also playing it safe and washing hands really well after i handle them or thier bedding, food or water dishes. i also got to go to the petstore today, finally, and i got them a nice large tank and some shredded newspaper for bedding. they have some paper towel tubes and stuff to hide in. i'll see if i can find some KMR or soymilk for them. for these little guys i didn't scatter the food (i do with my pet mouse, i scatter a pinch of oats every night to give him something to do) think they are to weak to be running around that much, or at least one of them is. what age would you recommend i release them? three more weeks, if they're three weeks now?

Back
Top Bottom