Plz help me save my chicken!

I
In a situation such as hers, she may be in shock from the attack. She needs peace & quiet to get over the severe trauma. Gradually she will start going through her usual routine.
:hugs:fl
I sure hope so I'll do what I can to help her. Thank you so much
@BarkerT
How is your hen this morning...?
@BarkerT
How is your hen this morning...?
There's no change this morning. Last night she ate almost a whole egg yoke and drank more water which left me hopeful. This morning I tried another yoke, water and tuna fish and she isn't taking in much but I'm still trying. I fear if she doesn't show any signs of improvement by tomorrow I feel she's not going to make it. All I can do is try but I hate the thoughts of her suffering. Thank you so very much asking about her

I

I sure hope so I'll do what I can to help her. Thank you so much

There's no change this morning. Last night she ate almost a whole egg yoke and drank more water which left me hopeful. This morning I tried another yoke, water and tuna fish and she isn't taking in much but I'm still trying. I fear if she doesn't show any signs of improvement by tomorrow I feel she's not going to make it. All I can do is try but I hate the thoughts of her suffering. Thank you so very much asking about her

I am no expert, but this looks like a snake bite to me. OP do you have venomous snakes in your area? I hope your girl gets better, I'm so sorry this happened to her!
I wondered that myself but will snakes move around at 11 at night? She was on her eggs so I questioned the fact of a snake getting up to her like that. We do have poisonous snakes, copperheads, wouldn't she be dead by now if one bit her? I'll take any ideas...

I wondered that myself but will snakes move around at 11 at night? She was on her eggs so I questioned the fact of a snake getting up to her like that. We do have poisonous snakes, copperheads, wouldn't she be dead by now if one bit her? I'll take any ideas...
I just read up on this thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/will-a-copperhead-kill-a-hen.792789/page-3
and from what I have read it's not a copperhead bite. She would have stumbled around immediately after getting bit, seized, and then passed away. So yes, she would be dead by now if it was a copperhead.

Here is a quote from the thread I just posted about, this person's chicken had very similar symptoms to yours.

"I'm baffled; a week ago we lost a hen, less than 1 yo. when we got home from work, she was in the pen. it appeared she just sat down in the straw, put her head down & died. My husband examined her and said there wasn't a mark on her but she was "a little bit prolapsed". Tonight, i came home, let the girls out and noticed immediately one of the girls was missing. Found her just inside the pop door, face down."

The fact that both hens had their faces down was what made me think of your bird.
Here is someone's response to that thread.

"From the symptoms you described I would be looking for Fiddler Spiders (Brown Reclusive, Wood), or Sac Spiders. The venom of these spiders are hemotoxins and cause blood vessels to constrict, which in turn causes large-scale necrosis. Bites on mammals and avians are self-defense bites, but still bad. Humans have been known to lose limbs or die from a Fiddler bite if not treated properly. Any bite to critter the size of a chicken could easily kill and it would appear to be instantaneous even though the bite occurred 48-72 hours prior. I have seen similar reactions of dogs I have breed."

Last edited:
I just read up on this thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/will-a-copperhead-kill-a-hen.792789/page-3
and from what I have read it's not a copperhead bite. She would have stumbled around immediately after getting bit, seized, and then passed away. So yes, she would be dead by now if it was a copperhead.
Well she just finished almost all of the egg yoke without me using dropper so I hope that's a good sign. When I think she might be getting better there's nothing. When she's in my lap she sits with her head up but when I put her back in cage her head goes back down again. I've put blanket in there and fix it to where it will prop her up but she starts moving around and back it goes. Do u know if I can give her any ibuprofen or anything like that? If so how much? I do have child meds as well, I have my grandbaby here a lot, she's 21months

Well she just finished almost all of the egg yoke without me using dropper so I hope that's a good sign. When I think she might be getting better there's nothing. When she's in my lap she sits with her head up but when I put her back in cage her head goes back down again. I've put blanket in there and fix it to where it will prop her up but she starts moving around and back it goes. Do u know if I can give her any ibuprofen or anything like that? If so how much? I do have child meds as well, I have my grandbaby here a lot, she's 21months
Is she eating feed?

Back
Top Bottom